Chicago 2016 Olympic Bid Support Sig

letsgomets1212

This is just a simple sig I created for anyone who wanted to show their support for Chicago's bid for the 2016 Summer Olympics. For those of you who don't know, Chicago is among the 4 remaining cities who will compete to host the games. The decision will take place October 2, 2009. If selected, Chicago will be the first city in the United States to host the Olympic Games since Atlanta did so 20 years prior, in 1996.

I tried my best to incorporate features of the flag of the City of Chicago into the sig. Hope you enjoy B)

olympicrings3qc0.png

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

America has had enough Olympics for the time being. I like the idea of Rio having it. I'd like to see there Opening Ceremony.

I went to Sydney as a 10year old and thoroughly enjoyed it as did everyone there. We love our sport. Best two weeks of my life.

America can wait till after 2030 for there next one. We wont get another one till like 2046.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

America can wait till after 2030 for there next one. We wont get another one till like 2046.

Can't see the 2046 games coming to Australia somehow ;)

liverpool-1.png

Can't see the 2046 games coming to Australia somehow ;)

Summer games will be 2028, 2032, ... 2044, 2048. Although your years would work for winter.

ujsignature.png

Shouldn't there be three stars in the banner? Maybe put one between Chicago and 2016.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Shouldn't there be three stars in the banner? Maybe put one between Chicago and 2016.

The flag actually has 4 stars. I think an extra one would be too much. I didn't try to copy the flag exactly, just incorporate some features that a person from Chicago would recognize.

And as for all the other discussion here, I personally would love to see it in the United States because I wasn't old enough to appreciate it back in 1996.

Um we just had the Summer Olympics in 84 and 96.

There are still plenty of places that need a chance first:

• South Africa
  • Brazil
  • Mexico
  • Germany
  • Sweden
  • France
  • Italy
  • Canada
  • Japan
  • Switzerland
  • Poland
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand

Mexico City 1968, Berlin 1936, Munich 1972, Stockholm 1912, Paris 1900 + 1924, Rome 1960, Montreal 1976, Tokyo 1964, Amsterdam 1928

South Africa has the world cup, Germany just had it, Brazil has it in 2014. Switzerland and Poland don't have the infrastructure to handle the olympics, as they both needed a second country to host the Euro Championships, and that's just one sport.

New Zealand is out because Australia just hosted 8 years ago.

The bidding cities are Madrid, Rio de Janiero, Tokyo, and Chicago anyway.

Europe (ESP) is out because of Athens in 04 and London in 2012. Asia (JAP) is out because of Beijing 08. That leaves North America (USA) or South America (BRA).

Chicago beats Rio on a technicality.

But of course that's just my opinion....

ps. The sig looks great and will support it! Nice Work!

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

Um we just had the Summer Olympics in 84 and 96.

There are still plenty of places that need a chance first:

• South Africa
  • Brazil
  • Mexico
  • Germany
  • Sweden
  • France
  • Italy
  • Canada
  • Japan
  • Switzerland
  • Poland
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand

Canada hasn't has the games since the '70s.

I can see us getting them in the 2020's, but then again probably not.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

the problem is that the commitee needs to set up a fair rotating schedule. they need to divide the world into regions and have them alternative evenly. Some countries (such as the US, could be their own region) regions could be:

US

North America (Mex and Can)

Central & South America

Oceania

Africa

Great Britain

Western Europe

Eastern Europe

Asia

2002 Salt Lake City....

That was winter, he said summer games.

"If selected, Chicago will be the first city in the United States to host the Olympic Games since Atlanta did so 20 years prior, in 1996."

Oh yah, I seem to be missing those words.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

the problem is that the commitee needs to set up a fair rotating schedule. they need to divide the world into regions and have them alternative evenly. Some countries (such as the US, could be their own region) regions could be:

US

North America (Mex and Can)

Central & South America

Oceania

Africa

Great Britain

Western Europe

Eastern Europe

Asia

The problem with this theory is that some regions have a severely limited list of locales that can afford an Olympics. Now, I'm all in favor of saddling somebody else with the $40 billion price tag, but as stated above, Madrid and Tokyo are out, and the IOC will not take responsibility for completely destroying Brazil's economy.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived