New Type Of Football Helmet?

walkdesign

Sure. It's the new prototype brainwashing helmet that makes you have googly eyes whise staring both cluelessly and angrily at the grass with a crooked mouth. Government Issue.

Seriously though, I can't clearly make out the writing on the front of the helmet but it almost looks like "Riddell"

I think it might be the revolution speed that chris cooley wears also.

It looks like the Revolution Speed to me as well. I know these are just in testing this year, but I'm surprised the "Riddell" is covered up on Coles' front bumper while it's been clearly visible on Cooley's helmet - at least during preseason and in week 1; I didn't see any clips of Cooley from yesterday's game. Also, Cooley's helmet has the rear bumper which appear to be removed from Coles' helmet.

Maybe Coles is testing it out but is still under contract to wear a Schutt helmet? Didn't he wear a Schutt last year?

And I still think it kind of looks like a regular Revolution mated with a Schutt ION4D.

It looks like the Revolution Speed to me as well. I know these are just in testing this year, but I'm surprised the "Riddell" is covered up on Coles' front bumper while it's been clearly visible on Cooley's helmet - at least during preseason and in week 1; I didn't see any clips of Cooley from yesterday's game. Also, Cooley's helmet has the rear bumper which appear to be removed from Coles' helmet.

Maybe Coles is testing it out but is still under contract to wear a Schutt helmet? Didn't he wear a Schutt last year?

And I still think it kind of looks like a regular Revolution mated with a Schutt ION4D.

Coles has always worn the same Riddell helmet and mask since he has been on the Jets I believe. But thank you for pointing out that Riddell is making a new helmet. This time period feels like the late 80's where the masks and helmets were going through a major overhaul. It's funny to think that until recently helmets hadn't changed much since the 80's. I guess it is about time.

I do think it is funny though that Riddell masks never have a nice flow to them. The Schutt stuff always seems to have nice lines and each line seems to have function. Riddell masks though just have lines that just crash into the other or just stop abruptly. Maybe that is why I always only wore Schutt. Who knows. But if this is a Riddell product, they are keeping the tradition alive it seems.

Coles has always worn the same Riddell helmet and mask since he has been on the Jets I believe. But thank you for pointing out that Riddell is making a new helmet. This time period feels like the late 80's where the masks and helmets were going through a major overhaul. It's funny to think that until recently helmets hadn't changed much since the 80's. I guess it is about time.

Thanks; I just couldn't remember whether Coles was a Riddell or Schutt wearer with the Jets. I guess maybe the "Riddell" logo is rendered in white instead of green so the equipment manager doesn't have to field questions from uniform/equipement types. I was hoping maybe Paul Lucas would get some more info from the Giants equipment manager - the Giants' guy told Lucas it was the "Riddell Revolution Speed" but he didn't mention if any of the Giants Riddell wearers were going to try one out. It seems like the Giants have a lot of Schutt users; last year they were one of the trial teams for the Air XP and the ION4D.

Speaking of Jets players, I noticed that Favre was wearing a Riddell VSR-4; with the Packers he was the last guy wearing a Riddell WD-1 (which has been out of production for 7-8 years).

As for me personally, I'm an old-timer; the last helmet I had on in anger was in mid-1970s and it was a Riddell PAC-44 (the youth version of the PAC-3) with a Cramer (i.e. Schutt's youth/high school mask line from back then) NOPO mask in the old style like the one on this Riggen's Jets helmet (replica by Helmethut):

jets6.jpg

Archived