Revisiting my Buffalo Bills concept

elliott

Hello everyone. I was reading through a thread about NFL unis over in the sport logos board, and I think fnz mentioned my Bills concept from a while ago. Well, it was a concept that a lot of people liked, especially daschuck77, who posted it on the Bills forum and encouraged me to send it to the Bills. Turns out that a lot of people liked it on the Bills, too, but I never got around to sending it to them. So, I am considering doing it now.

First of all, here is the link to the original concept. It is the first post on this thread. Scroll down on the thread to see updates of the jersey.

First, I thought I would perfect my idea and provide a couple of views just to complete it. This is what I did:

-A new wordmark, inspired by the design of the logo.

-I got the main logo in vector, previously it was in raster so it looked kinda dirty around the edges.

-Blue facemask.

-New number font. It isn't too much different, but it is different.

-Altered collar design.

-Helmet stripes that match the jersey.

-All new alternate. The original design had vertical stripes that didn't match the pants. The new one attempts to mimic the home and away design, but give a view of what it would look like on red. I think it is an improvement.

So obviously these changes are all pretty minor but I was just trying to present it in its most refined state. I have a logo sheet for you first.

BuffaloBills2008-Logos.gif

Now the design in my new template.

BuffaloBills2008-Final.gif

And a view of all of the combos, using MattMillones template like I used to.

BuffaloBills2008-Combos.gif

Comments are appreciated.

****Also****...any tips on what to do when sending a design to an organization. Like...do I copyright it? Do I say they could just use it, because I am concerned more about the way a team looks rather than getting my name mentioned? Just tips from anyone that has done something like this would be awesome, I know people like AAO, for example, have done it.

LIKE:

Jersey design- Pretty traditional, but looks nice.

Number font

Dislike:

Logo on back

Pants Stripe

Wordmark- Looks to generic with a forced swoosh from main logo

kCkLFSX.pngWGUTHKC.pngnbweR1j.png

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

****Also****...any tips on what to do when sending a design to an organization. Like...do I copyright it? Do I say they could just use it, because I am concerned more about the way a team looks rather than getting my name mentioned? Just tips from anyone that has done something like this would be awesome, I know people like AAO, for example, have done it.

Yeesh... yeah... whatever you do, don't follow his lead. Honestly, I don't think you'll be very successful. Teams supposedly don't accept unsolicited designs.

Anyway, it's a pretty good concept. Your jersey template, in all honesty, would function better as a T-Shirt template and the pants aren't much better. I think you shuold stick with doosh's or find another like the full-body one many people use (such as beatnik in his Packers one, but simpler).

I really like the jersey. One thing I might do is invert the pants stripes if you're going monochrome. Also, the wordmark looks too bland. I guess you could use the swoosh but like nyy said it looks forced and you definitely need a new font. And he's right about the logo on back too. The number font looks nice but why is the 7 the only curved number? Overall it's a nice start but needs some big revisions and I don't think it would be ready to send to the team, even if they hired you.

On the 7, he's probably using the Champion font or a knock-off of that font that the Bills used in the Jim Kelly era. As far as submissions. Don't even bother. Why? Because after the Ravens fiasco, and I'm not talking Joel, teams will just trash can unsolicited submissions from fans for fear of being sued. The NFL and it's teams call you, not the other way around.

On the 7, he's probably using the Champion font or a knock-off of that font that the Bills used in the Jim Kelly era. As far as submissions. Don't even bother. Why? Because after the Ravens fiasco, and I'm not talking Joel, teams will just trash can unsolicited submissions from fans for fear of being sued. The NFL and it's teams call you, not the other way around.

Oh. I didn't realize that.

I mean if you want to establish yourself as a designer of uniforms, go to your local high schools and maybe community colleges and see if you can design their uniforms. Once you show that you have a good portfolio of work then you could move up to 4 year colleges and then do a few good ones there with logos, the NFL might come calling. To get the attention of a big time organization, you have to have a portfolio of work and experience to show you're a professional. You can do it if you want, but it may take a few years and some pounding the pavement in the early years, but go for it!

I'm fond of:

The simplicity of the jersey.

The Helmet/Pants.

The numbers (even the seven).

My gripes:

The angle of the side paneling, maybe straighten the end.

usajohnson.gif

98% of people claim to have "brought sexy back." Well, I'm the 2% that never left.

Hometown Heroes

Dallas Stars- Brenden Morrow // Marty Turco // Loui Erikkson

Dallas Mavericks- Dirk Nowitzki // Jason Kidd // Jason Terry

Dallas Cowboys- Terrell Owens // DeMarcus Ware // Terence Newman // Felix Jones

Texas Rangers- Ian Kinsler // Elvis Andrus // Marlon Byrd

Archived