Luongo Touches Up Mask

Ramrod

I noticed during last night's Canucks-Red Wings game that goalie Roberto Luongo has decided to touch up his goalie mask, making it slightly darker and bluer. He also made his Captain's "C" white instead of blue and most annoyingly, changed the smaller "RBK" logo above the cage to a larger "Reebok" one.

Personally, I think I prefer the earlier version. During the bloodbath against the Capitals on Oct. 13 (the last time he wore the old mask), I was actually admiring how nice it looked. I thought the Captain's "C" was a little off centre and figured it alone could have been a bit bluer, but other than that the mask was fine.

Anyhow, here's some pics to show some differences...

NEW Mask:

Oct. 16 vs. Red Wings

Oct16a.jpg

Oct16b.jpg

OLD Mask:

Oct. 10 vs. Flames

Oct10.jpg

Oct. 13 vs. Capitals

Oct13.jpg

I was noticing that last night as well. I too thought the original captain's "C" was off center and was wondering if that was a decal or not. It makes sense to me that it could have been a decal, as it wasn't that long ago that they announced him as captain, but that doesn't mean he hasn't known he would be for awhile. I'm wondering if this new mask isn't Reebok's doing. I would assume they would want one of their top endorsers to wear a helmet with their new logo for advertising and brand recognition (much the same way they sent Ryan Miller RBK pads when he requested CCM a few years back). And with the new Reebok text, it almost has to be bigger to be clear enough to see. RBK was presented in a way you could read the letters and identify it as a logo, with the new logo, its all text and thus needs to be bigger and clearer.

Edit: I'm thinking the Hockey Fights Cancer logo is a decal, much like all the players have on the left rear side of their helmets (except ironically Luongo's teammates, who have the Luc sticker there and theirs is on the right side by the NHL shield :))

SEAsig.png

I've been trying to find a picture of him with a 'C' on his jersey ever since I heard goalies were allowed to be captains now. Are goalie captains not allowed to put the letter on their jerseys, but required to put it on their masks?

Goalie captains cannot wear a C on their jersey due to NHL regulations; The "C" was his "way out" where he could still wear the C and technically not break any rules. There's no rule that you have to wear the C but it's his way of wearing it without breaking any rules...it's just his alternate method.

FloridaGators1.png

Goalie captains cannot wear a C on their jersey due to NHL regulations; The "C" was his "way out" where he could still wear the C and technically not break any rules. There's no rule that you have to wear the C but it's his way of wearing it without breaking any rules...it's just his alternate method.

He does, however wear the C on his jersey in the official team photo for 2008/09. But thats the only place you'll see it.

Archived