NYC baseball

worst. jersey. ever.

okay so I thought of this idea while I was bored at work. FBLB. (Five Boroughs League Baseball). My original idea involved fifteen teams from all over the 5 boroughs of new york city.

*There would be two leagues, playoffs and a city championship series, to be played alternatingly at Yankee Stadium and CitiField.

*Here are the leagues, teams and colors, all of which are intended to be either an appropriate name for their area, or as an homage to an existing or classic New York franchise.

Eastern League

Brooklyn Division

Brooklyn Superbas- Navy Blue and White

Coney Island Astros- Midnight Blue and Orange

Flatbush Dodgers- Royal Blue and Red

Kings County Royals- Old Gold and Royal Purple

Queens Division

Flushing Meadowlarks- Maroon and Gray/Silver

Jamaica Baymen- Forest Green and Powder Blue

Queens Pilots- Medium Blue and Yellow Gold

Corona Matadors- Royal Blue and Red

Western League

Manhattan Division

Battery Bulls- Red and White

Harlem Jazz- Black and Red

Manhattan Skyliners- Midnight Blue and Powder Blue

Bronx Division

Bronx Highlanders- Black and Orange

Southside Bombers- Red and Navy Blue

Staten Island Division

Richmond Mets- Royal Blue and Orange

Staten Island Ferrymen- Black and Yellow Gold

*Each team plays 30 games a summer, playing only in their own leagues, most heavily in their own division.

*The playoffs would work like this:

*The two best teams in Brooklyn would battle for the "Kings Cup" in a three game series, The top two in Queens would battle for the "Queens Cup", also in 3 games. The two would face eachother to represent the Eastern Division in a 5 game Eastern League Championship Series.

*The team with the best regular season record in the Western Division would have a bye in the first round, while the champions of the two other divisions play eachother in a 3 game play-in series. The winner plays the regular season champ in the 5-game Western League Championship Series.

*The two pennant winners play in the 7 Game City Championship series, at either Yankee Stadium or CitiField.

*The teams would have a draft of the best players in High School PSAL baseball.

*The teams from the Bronx and Staten Island would have their first drafts of players only from their respective boroughs.

*Manhattan teams would draft next, being able to draft either players from Manhattan, or undrafted players from Staten Island or the Bronx.

*Queens and Brooklyn would draft last, being able to draft undrafted players from the other boroughs that drafted previously, or their own boroughs.

*Once all teams have drafted, any player that has gone undrafted can be picked up by any team.

*There would be 25 roster spots per team, with a squad of 5 or 6 alternates, in case of injury, or to be brought up for players who perform poorly.

The ideas for the team uniforms are all pretty much in my head, and I'm not too handy with designing them on the computer. If anyone has any ideas or comments, let me know.

- W.J.E.

Being a New Yorker, this is an intriguing idea. I like it except a three team division is uneven and a two team division......well...just doesn't make sense.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

I just don't like how one league has 3 divisions and the other has 2. I would stretch and add Long Island, Yonkers, Newark, Hudson County, or Nassau County to the list. I know none of those are on of the 5 boroughs, but it isn't much of a stretch, it would even it all out, and the region represented wouldn't get too big. Just a thought. Also, I would stay away from the names Mets and Ferrymen, for very different reasons.

I just don't like how one league has 3 divisions and the other has 2. I would stretch and add Long Island, Yonkers, Newark, Hudson County, or Nassau County to the list. I know none of those are on of the 5 boroughs, but it isn't much of a stretch, it would even it all out, and the region represented wouldn't get too big. Just a thought. Also, I would stay away from the names Mets and Ferrymen, for very different reasons.

Well, the Ferrymen is supposed to be a reference to the iconic Staten Island Ferry

I also want to add the names Yankees and Giants obviously, but also the Atlantics and Gladiators, teams that used to play in Brooklyn at the turn of the century, and maybe the Nine, after the team that played the Knickerbockers in the "first baseball game". I just need good towns to put them and colors and stuff.

Eastern League

Brooklyn Division

Queens Division

Western League

Manhattan Division

Bronx Division

Southside Bombers- Red and Navy Blue

Staten Island Division

Richmond Mets- Royal Blue and Orange

Since you have the Dodgers in Brooklyn where they were originally, shouldn't the Mets be one of the teams in Queens, namely Fluching, since that's where they're located?

Well, the Ferrymen is supposed to be a reference to the iconic Staten Island Ferry

I also want to add the names Yankees and Giants obviously, but also the Atlantics and Gladiators, teams that used to play in Brooklyn at the turn of the century, and maybe the Nine, after the team that played the Knickerbockers in the "first baseball game". I just need good towns to put them and colors and stuff.

So since I've had two people who had problems with two and three team divisions, I've decided to add 7 teams, 2 in staten and the bronx, one in manhattan, brooklyn and queens.

New Dorp Commodores- Navy Blue and Old Gold

Port Richmond Mariners- Royal Blue and Teal

Tribeca Giants- Black and Orange

Fordham Yankees- Midnight Blue and White

North Side Nine- Kelly Green and Yellow Gold

Seaside Atlantics- Medium Blue and White

Bay Ridge Gladiators- Scarlet and Gold

So since I've had two people who had problems with two and three team divisions, I've decided to add 7 teams, 2 in staten and the bronx, one in manhattan, brooklyn and queens.

As a Bronxite (lifelong, 30+ years), I'm not sure where the North Side is. (It's not a neighborhood. Neither is "the South Side." And I know nobody from here under the age of 50 who refers to either place as North Side or South Side. The "South Side" is the South Bronx. Period.)

I would recommend using actual neighborhood names, like Riverdale or Woodlawn, or street names like The Concourse or Webster Ave, or parks like Pelham Bay or Crotona.

Perhaps the "North Side Nine" could be the Pelham Bay Gulls? (Pelham Bay is right on Long Island Sound) Or the Woodlawn Rovers? (Woodlawn is, by most accounts, the biggest Irish neighborhood in the city).

As a Bronxite (lifelong, 30+ years), I'm not sure where the North Side is. (It's not a neighborhood. Neither is "the South Side." And I know nobody from here under the age of 50 who refers to either place as North Side or South Side. The "South Side" is the South Bronx. Period.)

I would recommend using actual neighborhood names, like Riverdale or Woodlawn, or street names like The Concourse or Webster Ave, or parks like Pelham Bay or Crotona.

Perhaps the "North Side Nine" could be the Pelham Bay Gulls? (Pelham Bay is right on Long Island Sound) Or the Woodlawn Rovers? (Woodlawn is, by most accounts, the biggest Irish neighborhood in the city).

i see what your saying about the area names, I wasnt even really going for a neighborhood, I was just kinda pulling stuff out of my butt, and North Side Nine sounded good, and I definitely wanted to name a Bronx team the Bombers.

I agree. Something like the Bushwick Bombers would make sense. Having divisions with the borough name then having a team don the same name (ex: Brooklyn Superbas in the Brooklyn Division) doesn't really make sense. If you need neighborhoods or street names, I can help or you can use wikipedia (they have everything).

Edit: A couple of things. First, It's a good idea to use old baseball names but also make team names based on neighborhoods (things that neighborhoods are known for) or even famous people from those neighborhoods. Secondly, the league name is kinda generic. Something the Empire City League or Empire City Summer Baseball Classic would sound better.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

I thought about some of the problems you guys had with my ideas, and addressed some of them that I thought were valid. Is this any better?

Eastern League

Brooklyn Division

Queens Division

Seaside Mets- Royal Blue and Orange

Western League

Manhattan Division

Bronx Division

Bushwick Bombers- Red and Navy Blue

Woodlawn Irish- Forest Green and Old Gold

Staten Island Division

Richmond Mariners- Medium Blue and Teal

St. George Atlantics- Royal Blue and White

Well, I would consider changing the towns of the bronx teams, the Bushwick Bombers sounds pretty good. But I don't see a problem with the teams named after boroughs, its like having the Florida Marlins as well as the Tampa Bay Rays

I understand your point but The Florida Marlins don't play in the Florida Division or Florida League. Maybe If you said like South Florida Suns in the Florida Division or South Bronx Bombers in the Bronx Division would be fine but saying the Brooklyn Superbas in the Brooklyn Division sounds like they represent the whole division.

I thought about some of the problems you guys had with my ideas, and addressed some of them that I thought were valid. Is this any better?

Bronx Division

Bushwick is actually in Brooklyn not the Bronx. Here's a wikipedia link to for the neighborhoods in each NYC borough (at the bottom): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neighborhoods_of_New_York_City

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

Bronx Division

Bushwick is actually in Brooklyn not the Bronx. Here's a wikipedia link to for the neighborhoods in each NYC borough (at the bottom): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neighborhoods_of_New_York_City

Yea, that was a mistake, once I realized Bushwick wasn't in the Bronx, I meant to make them the Pelham Bay Bombers.

I'm still not crazy about the just plain "Bronx," "Manhattan," "Queens," "Brooklyn," and "Staten Island" team names. They definitely fit the divisions (I mean, that's LOGICAL!), but in a league where you're trying to pit teams from a borough vs. other teams in that borough, it just doesn't work. It'd be like renaming the American League the Pantone League and then naming a team the American Gladiators. The question in NYC is always, "What part are you from?" followed by "What neighborhood?"

Also, WAY too many ties into the Yankees/Dodgers/Giants/Mets identities. A couple are cool, but this is overkill.

Some more suggestions - some admittedly copped from "The Warriors," some based in the realistic places where these teams would actually play...

I realize that I'm being nitpicky, but this is a site based on details, where one stripe could mean a flood of negative comments, so I don't feel THAT bad...

Bronx:

- Hunts Point Breakers

- City Islanders (after City Island)

- Van Cortlandt Dutchmen

- Gun Hill Turnbulls

Manhattan:

- Alphabet City Sirens

- Central Park Rangers

- Gramercy Riffs

Queens (also, NEVER name a team Queens anything, not in NYC - there's really no one Queens identity, it's way more neighborhood-based)

- Astoria Federals

- Woodside Engineers

- Jamaica Express

Brooklyn

- Bensonhurst Saracens

- Canarsie Steelers

- Red Hook Captains

Staten Island

- Van Kull Killers

- Snug Harbormasters

I hope this helps.

i like the idea, but i dont think you should have the teams that draft second get the rest of the players left over from the area that drafted first. Because, lets say the first division has all the good players in it, then the second division gets a bunch of good left over players from that borough, and no one else gets them. It's not fair because one division may be good because of players from another borough, while other teams are bad because they only have the players from their area. I know that its not that big of a deal since its the left over players, but i think you should only be allowed to draft players from your area, then after that is done, you have a draft of all the players left over that includes every team. That way Manhattan isnt good because they have a bunch of good left over Bronx players, even though the players from manhattan arent that talented(as an example i have no idea how good baseball teams in new york are for high school, im just saying)

Again i love the idea, but i think you need a small amount of fine-tuning and itll be perfect

i like the idea, but i dont think you should have the teams that draft second get the rest of the players left over from the area that drafted first. Because, lets say the first division has all the good players in it, then the second division gets a bunch of good left over players from that borough, and no one else gets them. It's not fair because one division may be good because of players from another borough, while other teams are bad because they only have the players from their area. I know that its not that big of a deal since its the left over players, but i think you should only be allowed to draft players from your area, then after that is done, you have a draft of all the players left over that includes every team. That way Manhattan isnt good because they have a bunch of good left over Bronx players, even though the players from manhattan arent that talented(as an example i have no idea how good baseball teams in new york are for high school, im just saying)

Again i love the idea, but i think you need a small amount of fine-tuning and itll be perfect

yea, I came up with that part when i decided that I wanted like Queens kids to play for a queens team, etc.

I just don't like how one league has 3 divisions and the other has 2. I would stretch and add Long Island, Yonkers, Newark, Hudson County, or Nassau County to the list.

I agree with eRay, especially with Newark and Hudson County; especially Hoboken (where baseball allegedly was born,) and Newark (rich history in the Negro leagues).....

I'm still not crazy about the just plain "Bronx," "Manhattan," "Queens," "Brooklyn," and "Staten Island" team names. They definitely fit the divisions (I mean, that's LOGICAL!), but in a league where you're trying to pit teams from a borough vs. other teams in that borough, it just doesn't work. It'd be like renaming the American League the Pantone League and then naming a team the American Gladiators. The question in NYC is always, "What part are you from?" followed by "What neighborhood?"

Also, WAY too many ties into the Yankees/Dodgers/Giants/Mets identities. A couple are cool, but this is overkill.

Some more suggestions - some admittedly copped from "The Warriors," some based in the realistic places where these teams would actually play...

I realize that I'm being nitpicky, but this is a site based on details, where one stripe could mean a flood of negative comments, so I don't feel THAT bad...

Bronx:

- Hunts Point Breakers

- City Islanders (after City Island)

- Van Cortlandt Dutchmen

- Gun Hill Turnbulls

Manhattan:

- Alphabet City Sirens

- Central Park Rangers

- Gramercy Riffs

Queens (also, NEVER name a team Queens anything, not in NYC - there's really no one Queens identity, it's way more neighborhood-based)

- Astoria Federals

- Woodside Engineers

- Jamaica Express

Brooklyn

- Bensonhurst Saracens

- Canarsie Steelers

- Red Hook Captains

Staten Island

- Van Kull Killers

- Snug Harbormasters

I hope this helps.

Good Idea :D Again though, lest then 4 team divisions don't work.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

Archived