The Man Behind the MLB Logo

jonkj

I don't seem to see this story posted here.... if it is, my apologies.

The Man Behind the MLB Logo

Every night when Jerry Dior sits down to watch the baseball playoffs in his Edison, N.J., home, the television reflects his life's most enduring handiwork.

Forty years ago, Mr. Dior worked as a graphic designer at Sandgren & Murtha, a New York City-based marketing company. In 1968, Major League Baseball commissioned the agency to design an original logo. The mark was to serve two purposes: to signify that MLB was placing league-wide merchandizing rights under the auspices of a new umbrella company, and to commemorate the national pastime's upcoming centennial.

Great article. I'd love to see the rejected proposals.

Me too.

I'm a little saddened to have definitive disproof of the Killebrew legend. I never believed the story -- the MLB logo doesn't actually look like any human batter -- but as a Killebrew fan I thought it was a swell myth.

20082614447.png

I know the article said the designer never got royalties, but is that par for most graphic designers? Like what instances would graphic designers get royalties, if any? Now that I think about, I guess since they're being commissioned to design something, they probably sign off all their rights on it in the paperwork.

I know the article said the designer never got royalties, but is that par for most graphic designers? Like what instances would graphic designers get royalties, if any? Now that I think about, I guess since they're being commissioned to design something, they probably sign off all their rights on it in the paperwork.

Its par for the course. You don't make any money except off the initial payment.

I could see in some instances a royalty being paid if its written into the contract, but that's very rare. Possibly on merchandise that the sole appeal is the design like a t-shirt or a print. But in those cases the person doing the selling is usually the person who did the designing.

Unless the designer is somehow a name on his own, I don't see him getting any royalties off the logo. I'd suspect that book designer Chip Kidd gets royalties, he's well-known enough to have books written about him. But maybe not.

According to Paul Lukas' site today, Dior isn't the only one who's laid claim to the design. Comic book artist Jim Sherman has taken credit for it, going back at least as far as 2003.

Wonder if Sherman has anything to support his claim?

Archived