National Hockey Teams Retired Numbers?

oddball

I was looking up where Drew Doughty is from and thought that I'd love a national jersey with his name on it. Then I thought for whatever reason, are there any countries that have retired numbers or numbers that aren't in use for a specific player? It's just something that crossed my mind and I figured someone here might know.

I was looking up where Drew Doughty is from and thought that I'd love a national jersey with his name on it. Then I thought for whatever reason, are there any countries that have retired numbers or numbers that aren't in use for a specific player? It's just something that crossed my mind and I figured someone here might know.

Team Finland has retired #17 in honor of Jari Kurri.

Team Canada retired Steve Yzerman's #19 and I'm pretty sure #99 as well....

They didn't officially retire Yzerman's number. They just said that out of respect for Yzerman, nobody would wear it in 2006 in Turin (a team that he was named to, but unable to perform for).

Juventus.png

They didn't officially retire Yzerman's number. They just said that out of respect for Yzerman, nobody would wear it in 2006 in Turin (a team that he was named to, but unable to perform for).

I don't think they'd want Sakic to wear #91 again in Vancouver....

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

I don't think they'd want Sakic to wear #91 again in Vancouver....

You assume he'll still be playing by 2010.

Good question. I'm not aware of any.

The Czech Republic wore #21 patches in 2004 for Ivan Hlinka.

2080568510100337552S425x425Q85.jpg

No one has worn it in the World Championships or Olympics since then, but it has been worn in the World Juniors. That raises the question of if a number is retired from just the Men's Senior team or all national teams at all the levels a country competes at.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

The Russian Federation doesn't allow anyone to wear the #17 of Valery Kharlamov, who was playing for the Russians in the '72 Summit Series. He died in a car crash at the age of 33. Ilya Kovalchuk who wears #17 in Kharlamov's honor, wears #71 in International Tournaments.

SEAsig.png

Archived