Los Angeles Clippers

TalktoChuck

I'm trying to do a re-branding of the LA Clippers, starting off with the logo. Now the Clippers are IMO an embarassment to the sports world when it comes to logos. The entire history of the franchise has never seen even an average logo. From Buffalo to San Diego and now LA, all cities have been cursed with the Clippers bad logos. So I had this idea to actually use a clipper in the logo. This is the basics of the logo. I'm looking for advice on how to make it better. Any and all C&C is appreciated. Also I gave six diferent color schemes, tell me what you guys like best.

lac.gif

jNTsTyQ.png

I'm trying to do a re-branding of the LA Clippers, starting off with the logo. Now the Clippers are IMO an embarassment to the sports world when it comes to logos. The entire history of the franchise has never seen even an average logo. From Buffalo to San Diego and now LA, all cities have been cursed with the Clippers bad logos. So I had this idea to actually use a clipper in the logo. This is the basics of the logo. I'm looking for advice on how to make it better. Any and all C&C is appreciated. Also I gave six diferent color schemes, tell me what you guys like best.

lac.gif

Not sure what suggestions to make as far as improving the logo because I like it very much as is. As far as my color preference, I prefer the logo in the lower right.

Did you create the clipper ship, or is it from some other source?

Untitled-1-1.gif

Sig by TalktoChuck

I don't really see this as an improvement. It looks like a logo made in the 30's. Maybe try connecting ALL the seams to the outside of the basketball and keep the widths of the lines making the basketball the same. Good start though.

1/27/09- It was me, and I am sorry.

The problem with this logo is it doesn't say "basketball team". It's feels like a men's fragrance. It'd be a logo that you might see for a high-end restaurant, but not a basketball team. It's way too dainty.

This suffers from a problem that I encountered many times while creating a new Clippers look. It is too busy. Clipper ships don't really lend themselves to logo creation that well. You will need to take some artistic license and make it work for you. Right now, nothing is really working. The ball barely reads as a ball because the lines are all covered, and the parts you can see are not connected to the circle for the most part. The ship just blends into the basketball and you cannot make out what it is in any color scheme. I would say try to make the bottom-middle color scheme work for you, remember that you can use water, and wood and basketballs can both be Orange in this case. Look at more pictures of clipper ships and just sketch some ideas out on paper. Keep it simple but recognizable.

This suffers from a problem that I encountered many times while creating a new Clippers look. It is too busy. Clipper ships don't really lend themselves to logo creation that well. You will need to take some artistic license and make it work for you. Right now, nothing is really working. The ball barely reads as a ball because the lines are all covered, and the parts you can see are not connected to the circle for the most part. The ship just blends into the basketball and you cannot make out what it is in any color scheme. I would say try to make the bottom-middle color scheme work for you, remember that you can use water, and wood and basketballs can both be Orange in this case. Look at more pictures of clipper ships and just sketch some ideas out on paper. Keep it simple but recognizable.

Thanks man. I'm still working on it. Hopefully I'll have something up in the next couple days. Thanks for all the feedback guys.

jNTsTyQ.png

Ok, so I've had some free time on my hands and went back to the drawing board for this. I went with a different basketball, added some water and tried to clean it up a bit. I kept the same ship. And I also made an alternate logo, an anchor with a basketball in it. Any better guys?

clipps.gif

jNTsTyQ.png

The first draft reminded me of the 76ers for some reason. Now on this second one, you've got some weird rough edges up there in the upper-left which remind me of circa-1993 graffiti-esque design. And with the red, blue, and ship, it's going to look like Old Spice whether you want it to or not, so you might need to think of different colors. Go figure: a maritime-themed team would have a reason to use dark blue and light blue, and now it's more overplayed than the Ting Tings. The anchor is okay, but the problem is that the basketball is so tiny on what would already cover a small piece of real estate that it's not worth the effort. Moreover, an anchor is big and heavy and impedes movement. It stops Clippers. Is that what you want to connote your basketball team?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived