Ducks Unlimited "Chili Bowl" 2009

DelayedPenalty

In October I was hired on as the graphic design intern at the Great Lakes/Atlantic Regional Office (GLARO) of Ducks Unlimited here in Ann Arbor. For those of you who don't know, Ducks Unlimited is a non-profit organization that promotes conservation of wetlands and waterfowl. One of the fund raisers that we do every year is a chili cookoff to raise money and awareness in Michigan. In the past it has just been called the "Chili Cookoff", but this year, with a change of date that happens to fall on Super Bowl weekend (tonight actually), they decided to go with a football theme. In that respect I took the figurative "ball and ran with it".

The obvious idea that came to mind was "chili bowl", both a play on words, and an event all in one. The event includes 12 teams making a batch of chili, and a voting process to determine a winner.

Here's the logo I came up with for the event that is included on all the literature we sent out; invitations, fliers, voting ballots, etc.

DU-Chili-Bowl-2009.png

For each time sign I also did a custom football helmet, using one of the templates from vectorportal. Each team had their own unique name, such as the "Alternative Energy Producers", "Los Tres Frijoles De Musica", and "Sassy Sue's" which didn't really lend themselves to good logos, without losing meaning of the name. Others worked quite well, like the "Chili Chihuahuas"

ChiliChihuahuas.jpg

Here's the flier that was mailed out to DU members, and posted around town.

Flier

I'm not really looking for C&C, since the event is tonight, but I just wanted to see what everyone thought. If you're in the Ann Arbor area feel free to stop by tonight! $10 gets you all you can eat chili, hot dogs, etc.

Chili Bowl 2009 info

Not a fan of the gradient at all, but I do like the concept. I'm actually a DU member in a South Carolina chapter (huge deal here in the South)...we have some awesome events down here. Last I went to was a Oyster Roast but they also had moose chili and bacon wrapped quail! Yummy! Oh, did I forget to mention the open bar? Not bad for $25 a person.

Archived