Soccer Shooting in Iraq

WJMorris3

An Iraqi soccer fan shot dead a player of the opposing team as he tried to score an equalizing goal in the final minutes of a match, police said Monday.

The shooting Saturday in Hilla, 100 km (60 miles) south of Baghdad, during a match between local teams, underscored the country's propensity to lawlessness even as violence by militant groups falls to lows not seen since mid-2003.

"As soon as Haider Kadhim (the player) was alone in front of the goalkeeper and close to equalizing, a fan in the crowd fired a pistol at him," a senior police officer in Hilla, who declined to be named, told Reuters.

"We arrested this fan immediately but unfortunately the player died."

Iraqis love soccer and have often expressed hope the game would help reconcile warring ethnic groups and sects.

Iraq's surprise victory in the 2007 Asian Cup brought rare joy and unity to the shattered nation, with Shi'ites, Sunni Arabs and Kurds pouring into the streets to celebrate their team's 1-0 win over Saudi Arabia in the Jakarta final.

Oh dear Lord... and I thought the flare hitting the goaltender in an old Inter-Milan derby were bad enough. Hell, this makes the Brawl at the Palace pale in comparison.

LvZYtbZ.png

Wow... I thought that I took sports a little too seriously.

This brings back memories of that Columbian player who got killed after he scored an own goal for the US in the 1994 World Cup. Except that this guy was shot down in the middle of the game and not after seeing their team get knocked out of the tourny.

This brings back memories of that Columbian player who got killed after he scored an own goal for the US in the 1994 World Cup. Except that this guy was shot down in the middle of the game and not after seeing their team get knocked out of the tourny.

Or the scene from "The Last Boy Scout"...

Or the scene from "The Last Boy Scout"...

"Ain't life a bitch?"

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived