Designs that have..un-grown..on you

STL FANATIC

Not that the original was a big hit, but in any case.

What designs did you think you loved, but for one reason or another, you've tired of them?

For me, it's quickly become the Blues alternate jersey. While it could stay an alternate and be one of the best of that capacity in the league for a while, I just feel like I've seen enough. So many fans clamor for it to become the regular look and perhaps that's what kills me. It's a fine alternate, but it doesn't scream Blues.

It's navy not royal. The numbers are white, not gold. The Bluenote is tiny and in a circle, not plastered large on the chest. It's not the Blues. And it's been all over. And I'm tired of it.

That one hit me tonight, and that's why I started the thread. This is a difficult one otherwise, and I really can't come up with any more of the top of my head. But I'm sure they're out there.

Any others?

A few examples that were good for their time, usually for a few years after their debut, but not today. I still like them, I just don't think they should be used anymore or I'm glad they've been updated.

106.gif

208.gif

162.gif

1.gif

1346.gif

fge4lf9ridpgum631fb0gg9tt.gif

Now this is a much easier question for me to answer than the "logos that have grown on you" thread b/c a lot of designs have soured on me since the time they first debuted.

NBA

-ATL Hawks primary: I was a kid when it first came out, so I liked it b/c it was "cartoony." Much prefer the current secondary hawk head.

5mdhgjh3aa92kih09pgi.gif

-CLE Cavs wordmark: Don't get me wrong, I like the overall redesign, but the font just looks weird now, esp. the "C."

5zp5356wfntqosqr3ah5hmdr1.gif

-GS Warriors primary: Same reason as the Hawks' logo. Would love to see them do a redesign emphasizing the Bay Area connection.

1bhcqs6l5t44lw04y1tygdsce.gif

-HOU Rockets jersey: I originally liked these b/c they were something different than those horrible pinstriped pajama uni's, but the novelty has worn off. I hate the shiny satin-pajama look and the arm/pant "loop paneling" is just awkward. They were being too creative/symbolic for their own good IMO.

hg6o7457zm9ouiy25mvhz2udu.gif

-NO Hornets primary: Don't really hate it, but they should really just go with the Fleur-de-Bee full-time.

-PHI 76ers primary: Not a big fan of the unsymmetrical star and ball thing, and I just think they should finally debut something entirely new for the post-Iverson era.

fge4lf9ridpgum631fb0gg9tt.gif

-SAC Kings primary: I'm okay with the colors, but I just feel like they should change their logo. I know it's kinda hackneyed, but I'd like to see them do a design emphasizing the whole crown aspect more. I just feel the overall design is dated in a non-classic way.

832.gif

-UT Jazz primary: Bad enough the team name has nothing to do with the state, but at least bring back the "music J note" logo full-time. Never realized how much I missed it till it was gone.

jy1tqovzbqgvrp2a5phwtvdfh.gif

To be continued...

Part 2: (for the sake of expedience, I decided not to post pics this time)

NHL

-ANA Ducks whole look: It seems like I'm one of the few, but I actually preferred the Mighty Ducks to the current, just-Ducks set. The colors are boring and the logo is just horrible IMO.

-FL Panthers/NSH Predators primary: Same "kid/cartoony" reason. The Predators' is esp. bad for me b/c no part of it screams hockey to me. It looks more like a toy advertisement or something like that.

-LA Kings primary: This is slightly more in-line with what I want to see with the SAC Kings, but the execution/design is off. Plus, the lack of any sort of teamname/location wordmark makes the whole thing look incomplete compared to the other "non-named" hockey logos for some reason.

-PHX Coyotes primary: I like the design, but compared to other animal logos, it looks strangely incomplete with just the head and no body.

-ATL Thrashers/TB Lightning full set: Kind of counter to the thread topic, but I just never liked these logos.

NFL

-BAL Ravens primary: I like it far more than the old Raven head logo, but I always felt they shouldn't have included the "B" on its head. It just looks superfluous.

-BUF Bills uniforms: I'm one of the few that likes the current "stripe Buffalo" logo, but the uniforms are just awful.

-CAR Panthers primary: "Kid/cartoony" reason.

-CIN Bengals primary: The "tiger-striped B" just looks boring.

-DEN Broncos uniforms: I'm okay w/ the logo, but the uniforms just aren't that nice looking anymore. I guess I just miss the classic orange ones.

-TB Bucs primary: It just looks so rough and sketchy nowadays. Say what you will about Bucco Bruce, but at least he looked smooth.

MLB *most of these I just never liked*

-BAL Orioles primary: The realistic bird is so boring. I like the "swinging cartoon bird" better.

-COL Rockies primary: I'm strangely torn on this one. Sometimes it looks okay, other times I just don't like it. Looks more like a resort logo either way though.

-MIN Twins primary: It's just boring and feels kinda dated.

-PIT Pirates primary: I have just never liked any of their pirate-head logos. All of them just look horrible.

-SD Padres primary: Bland and uninspired. I much prefer the "swinging friar" logo.

-SEA Mariners primary: The current primary is okay if somewhat dull, but I've always been drawn to the old "trident M" logo.

-TOR Blue Jays wordmark: Much prefer the old, "lines thru the middle" font. Plus, the fact that they seemingly go through a new logo/jersey/font every other year hasn't done much to endear the current identity to me.

Minnesota Twins primary logo. At the time, I thought it was the bee's knees. And in the context of the mid-1980s, it was a very good baseball logo. But it really has become creaky over the years, and now I wouldn't rate it in the top half of the league.

The New York Mets primary logo is much the same for me. I loved it when I was a kid, but now it looks overly busy and I don't think it's aged as well as, say, the similarly of-its-time Dodgers logo.

20082614447.png

For me, and this is going to sound strange coming from me, it's gotta be the primary logo of my Buccaneers.

Loved the HELL out that thing when it first came out. Hell, I still like how it looks. However, having said that, it's also starting to look a lil' bit, well, "outdated". It's just a tadbit too cartoony for me now. I think a very modest refreshening might do some wonders for that logo.

(Having said that, I still believe the Buccaneers' identity as a whole is one of the better identites out there in pro sports.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived