Waco Marshals New Logo

Lee.

But why email them? What makes you think that they'll listen to anyone, especially someone who's criticizing their logo? I know we can debate and complain about somebody taking a logo and reproducing it for themselves but it's not our job to be the police and bug them about it. Leave that to the U.S. Copyright Office.

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But why email them? What makes you think that they'll listen to anyone, especially someone who's criticizing their logo?

Because we can. And because perhaps they'll notice we happen to know a little ourselves about logos. Who knows, it's worth a shot, isn't it?

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

But why email them? What makes you think that they'll listen to anyone, especially someone who's criticizing their logo? I know we can debate and complain about somebody taking a logo and reproducing it for themselves but it's not our job to be the police and bug them about it. Leave that to the U.S. Copyright Office.

As well to add to syphi's.. there is a good chance that they paid dearly for that logo... shouldnt they be made aware that they are paying for "stolen" goods... if anyone on this website was being frauded i would make them aware as I hope they would do the same for me...besides i did it as a goodwill to them becuause I told WWU too, I didn't want them to be caught with their pants down...

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

They probably already know that there's people out there who know a lot about logos. They also probably know that at some point somebody will compare the two together. Leave it to the real police to decide the debate. I just don't see how Waco will take our complaints in a positive manner. What does it really matter if they took somebody else's creative idea and change it a bit to match their requests? They have to register the logo at some point and if it happens to be too much like the WWU logo then changes will be put into place.

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

They probably already know that there's people out there who know a lot about logos. They also probably know that at some point somebody will compare the two together. Leave it to the real police to decide the debate. I just don't see how Waco will take our complaints in a positive manner. What does it really matter if they took somebody else's creative idea and change it a bit to match their requests? They have to register the logo at some point and if it happens to be too much like the WWU logo then changes will be put into place.

sometimes i think you just don't get it.

They probably already know that there's people out there who know a lot about logos.  They also probably know that at some point somebody will compare the two together.  Leave it to the real police to decide the debate.  I just don't see how Waco will take our complaints in a positive manner.  What does it really matter if they took somebody else's creative idea and change it a bit to match their requests?  They have to register the logo at some point and if it happens to be too much like the WWU logo then changes will be put into place.

sometimes i think you just don't get it.

Maybe your right but at times I think we may take it a little too far. Just tell me why Waco will even give a damn what the people of this board think?

Retired Number's To Come

i don't think the point is whether Waco cares or not.....the point is that WE care enough to let them know that they are doing something wrong, whether they knew beforehand or not......WE care enough to let WWU know that someone is infringing on their copyright........WE care enough as a community of designers and like-minded people, that WE don't want to see a team profiting from someone else's intellectual property......if it were ME in either set of shoes, i sure as hell would hope that someone would inform me either:

a. my copyrighted property is being infringed upon.

or

b. my designer ganked someone else's work and i should fire his/her fluffing ass pronto!

maybe i'm the only one who feels that way, but i doubt it.

because we are doing them a service... the quicker they can distance themselves from the rip-off the better it will be on their pocketbook... if they listen if tehy dont thats their perogative we are just trying to give them a heads up... cuz like i said WWU is taking it to their lawyers... we are just giving them a heads up

edit... preach on joel preach on... amen...lol

www.pifflespodcast.com

How do we know that the material is being infringed upon? What are the guidelines? I thought a logo can resemble certain aspect of a logo but a certain percent of the logo has to be different.

Retired Number's To Come

How do we know that the material is being infringed upon?  What are the guidelines?  I thought a logo can resemble certain aspect of a logo but a certain percent of the logo has to be different.

stealing the face and doing a vertical reflect is still infringement!

let's review!

WWU:

logo_thumbnail.gif

waco's ripoff:

team-marshals.jpg

looks like infringement to me!

But they only used a part of the WWU logo. They changed it and made it into something that's their own.

You have your evidence but I don't think it's enough to enforce changes.

Retired Number's To Come

But they only used a part of the WWU logo.  They changed it and made it into something that's their own.

the fact remains that it isn't their own.....sure, the cowboy hat is, but the logo as a whole sure as hell isn't.

you can't change something that someone else created and make it into 'your own' if it is to be used for profit.

the similarities between these logos are ridiculous enough for Waco to get laughed out of the courtroom, if it goes that far.

I hate to be a suspicious alowicious (sp?) but looks like they put a cowboy hat on the Western Washington Viking and flipped it

logo_thumbnail.gif

That's exactly what I thought too--and I decided to scroll down to see if anyone caught it before me, and no surprise it was...

Hey even I could have done that one!

Wow, that is a clean shaven Viking! He has baby soft skin with not a one unsightly facial hair. he's the GQ Man of Vikings!

I'm willing to bet that nothing comes of this though.

Retired Number's To Come

I'll take that bet... like I said WWU is already going to their lawyers... i have a feeling cease and desisit order will becoming shortly... you have to remember the law is sticky about infringement look at what happened to the mighty docs and disney... disney was ready to go at them full force and they werent using a modified mighty ducks logo for profit they were in a beer league... waco is in a bad situation due to their mass merchandising and production of the logo... the dancing cowboy will be back in a big way

edit... also there is precedent of similar logos... the orginal Jacksonville jaguars original leaping Jag logo was a little to close to the Jaguar car logo so they had to change it... thats when the blue tongued cat came into existance... however i figure the resident ccslb lawyer would be the best person to ask to cite precedent... or even the one that likes to pretend he is... lol... yale, BIB any comment

www.pifflespodcast.com

Well flip, I had no idea the lawyers were already involved in this situation. Did they get involved because of someone's email?

Retired Number's To Come

did you even read this thread before posting... yes, my email to be exact i emailed both sides pointing out the similarity... and infact i posted what WWU sent back to me...

sy that took you 45 seconds... im hoping that included load up time...lol :D

www.pifflespodcast.com

You got me there. I didn't see that post where you posted the response you got back from them. In cases like these some companies may let other slip by but since WWU has a problem with it, then it's their case.

Retired Number's To Come

When design elements of two logos are exact, and the originator of the first logo does not give permission for a logo that uses design elements of their logo, that's stealing. It's plagerisim, and i would be disappointed if no one reported this. Plagerisim is one of the worst things in the world, and to sit by and say "well, who would care?", is allowing theivery and, what is in my mind, one of the worst crimes to commit to an artist.

But that's ok bs. When someone decides to hijack your logo, i'll make sure i don't tell a soul.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived