Problems associated with saving to previous formats in Illustrator?

Wasatch

Whenever designing new logos or artwork in Illustrator, I still prefer to use version 10 over CS2 or CS3 due to the fact that 10 seems to be more exact with shapes and measurements, allowing the user to use thousandths (0.001) of a pixels versus CS2 where it gets rounded to the nearest pixel. Another benefit is that 10 just runs faster! Also, when saving artwork from CS2 to 10, it'll prompt you with the following...."Saving this document in an older format may convert all type to point type and may disable some editing features when the document is read back in. Do you want to continue?? Has anyone ever had a problem with having a logo/artwork get distorted when saving to an older version of Illustrator?

illustartor_saving_prompt.png

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

I've back saved for a few years and even back save from cs4 to 10 when working on logos for my Nascar Racing 2003 game which is on the xp side of my computer and has 10 and I've not had issues at all. The only "problem" is legacy type and if you don't have a font on your computer. Other than that I have yet to come across an issue. I probably think the one issue if I have to back save from cs4 to 10 will be the transparent gradient.

I've back saved for a few years and even back save from cs4 to 10 when working on logos for my Nascar Racing 2003 game which is on the xp side of my computer and has 10 and I've not had issues at all. The only "problem" is legacy type and if you don't have a font on your computer. Other than that I have yet to come across an issue. I probably think the one issue if I have to back save from cs4 to 10 will be the transparent gradient.

I always thought that was the case on every computer. If you created a file with a specific font, then opened that same file another computer that didn't have that font, it would substitute that font, right?

you will need the font if it was not outlined (type>create outlines) before saving. i always like to outline the fonts if sending out to another designer. the type engine also changed after 10, so you will see a prompt asking how to handle legacy type when opening.

saving to a legacy version usually is not a problem if you keep the file simple. what can be a problem is if a newer version uses any of the transparancy or other special effects (glows/soft drop shadows/etc). the older versions will get a rasterized fill for the newer version's "effect" and it will be flattened, and not editable.

i also used to prefer the older versions that were very much faster than the current versions, but i have also come to find the illy effects to be very handy. the new screen refresh with a large linked file can be time consuming since i don't like using the low res proxy while building production files. i rekon it's the price of progress... [shrugs]

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

you will need the font if it was not outlined (type>create outlines) before saving. i always like to outline the fonts if sending out to another designer. the type engine also changed after 10, so you will see a prompt asking how to handle legacy type when opening.

I too take this same approach when sending artwork to others. How about when you open an older Illustrator 10 file in CS2 or later and it asks you to update the legacy font, does it really change any aspects of the lettering in the artwork?

saving to a legacy version usually is not a problem if you keep the file simple. what can be a problem is if a newer version uses any of the transparancy or other special effects (glows/soft drop shadows/etc). the older versions will get a rasterized fill for the newer version's "effect" and it will be flattened, and not editable.

So it?s only the effects in the artwork that are compromised and not the artwork itself, as long as there isn?t? any transparent gradients?

the new versions will "update" the editable text areas, but don't do it when you first open the document since it will bust the text fields into unmanageable chunks. instead choose "ok to update text later". then using the type tool [T] click to edit text and it will update the legacy text to the new style. sometimes it will still chunk the text field, but a simple copy/paste to rejoin text blocks should work.

it's not only transparent gradients, but it can be regular gradients and blends too. what once was a simple 2 pc blend or color gradient, may now be a (file bloating and complex to edit file) 256 step group of objects. keeping it basic should ensure no problems when opening in legacy versions. you may also notice some spot color palates (Pantone swatch charts) have evolved as well so some color information will be different if built in a legacy version and opened in a new version. what was built in illy10 as a PMS C will show up in CS4 as a PMS CVC, minor -but worth noting.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

the new versions will "update" the editable text areas, but don't do it when you first open the document since it will bust the text fields into unmanageable chunks. instead choose "ok to update text later". then using the type tool [T] click to edit text and it will update the legacy text to the new style. sometimes it will still chunk the text field, but a simple copy/paste to rejoin text blocks should work.

Great suggestion! Thanks man! :D

Archived