New Helmet Design

John in KY

Ok. So here's the story about helmets and their fit:

1) You can change the padding inside the helmet. However, changing the padding doesn't necessarily change the fit. All of today's helmets, with the exception of the Zenith, use inflated liners to create the buffer between the helmet and the skull. There are significant differences between the air management systems of Schutt's and Riddell's helmets. The Zenith was designed to help reduce the rate of second hit syndrome concussions.

Second hit occurs when the brain hits the skull after the initial impact. Although Riddell's and Schutt's helmets try to prevent this, Zenith's has proven to be better based on the "bonnet" inside the shell. Riddell's and Schutt's padding are against the shell where Zenith's is suspended inside. Because of this, Zenith claims that their helmet is the best on the market.

2) Facemasks are always a personal choice, although to a certain extent. When I mount a mask on a players helmet, I ask him which one he wants based on the position that he plays. I will not put an interior linemen on either side of the ball in a mask that a receiver would wear. The rule about spacing is that the mask must be no less than 1/2" and no more than 1.5" from the nose, generally the width of two fingers. One finger and it's too close, three and it's too far away.

3) There has been increased talk and awareness about concussions over the course of the last five years or so. However in light of recent events, it has really taken flight. We are now being more and more aware about how the helmet fits a player, how he feels in it, and his concussion history. I base issuance of the helmet to the player based on his concussion history. The reason for this is that older helmets, e.g. Riddell VSR4, Schutt Pro Air 2 or Air Advantage, tend to do a lesser job than the newer models. This doesn't necessarily mean that they are completely inferior, but I'd issue a Revo before I issue a VSR4.

God I need to get back into an equipment room!

dodgers-1.png

Not so much in the NFL, but it's getting to the point that when you're watching a college game it now looks strange when a player is wearing a traditional helmet (Riddell VSR-4, Schutt Air Advantage, etc.) instead of a Revo, Revo Speed, and Schutt ION (or at least a Schutt Air XP).

This decade has seen the biggest changes in headgear since the 1970s when the "bubble ear" RK suspension helmets (and eventually all suspension helmets) were phased out and the padded/inflated helmets came in.

A little off-topic... Why is it that original Revos are still pretty common in college, even with the Revo Speed being used, but hardly anyone wears a Schutt DNA? Have they been phased out for IONs completely?

It's a shame, to me, because it was the best looking "new" helmet in my opinion.

Nole, those arent regular Riddell Revos. They are Riddell Revolution IQs. they can actually track the hits and send them back to the trainers. They are a major improvement over regular Revo's in padding.

Also, The DNA's are almost obsolete because of more enhancements in padding for other helmets, for less money. And There are actually alot of VSR-4 and Schutt AIR XP/ Schutt AIRs in circulation. I have seen alot more coming back since the 2008 season.

And I have some more info on the Xeniths.

The "bubbles" that you see are actually Compressed Air Cushions that re-inflate after less than a second after impact, to keep your head safe. Also the Ventilation Holes are supposed to keep your head cool, while keeping the pads warm. Because pads can go rock solid in the cold. And in the Cold it insulates everything inside the helmet. Its a really cool helmet if I do say so myself.

A little off-topic... Why is it that original Revos are still pretty common in college, even with the Revo Speed being used, but hardly anyone wears a Schutt DNA? Have they been phased out for IONs completely?

It's a shame, to me, because it was the best looking "new" helmet in my opinion.

Every Oregon player either wears a DNA helmet or a Revo...most everyone wears a DNA though

Archived