Pittsburgh Penguin logo question

CapnSam

Okay, this has been bothering me for a while now and maybe you guys have some answers.

The Pens currently use this logo seen on their uniform.

2518158277_cf0b185de3.jpg

But this logo is used on the official Penguins website on their printable schedules and is even the favicon.

PensLogo_Ill5%20copy.gif

Notice the difference between the eyes, skates and also the stick.

This logo was used on the 1991-92 uniforms, which is also different from the current one(s).

20095122318722242.jpg

Why so many different versions? And also, which one do you guys think is best?

I would also be tempted to second guess the Lemieux shirt as this is not an original, but a new VINTAGE image

Looks like your right:

33-67200-F.jpg

The black outline is different. The Penguin legs also look different ...

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Considering the logo gets reproduced at all different sizes for all different purposes, it's probably quite common for there to be very minor differences in differently sized versions. After all, a particular eye pattern might look good at a large size, but not when shrunk down, so it might be drawn a little differently or simplified.

That's all I can think of, anyway.

The beak has really evolved over the years. The jersey in the pic looks as if it's pre-cup (no "C") but def. after '84 when the numbers were a different color and on the shoulder. Go to Mellon Arena (where fake jerseys are king) and you'll see all variations of the Penguin on fake blue jerseys. You'll see the vegas gold, the cup year penguins, etc. I like the current Penguin in the older colors.

KISSwall09.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived