RIP Rajaan Bennett

Brave-Bird 08

Tough day here in Marietta, Georgia. Don't know if anyone has seen on ESPN.com, but Vanderbilt's three star committment Rajaan Bennett was shot and killed early this morning at his home in Powder Springs.

Bennett played for my rival high school, McEachern, and led the team with over 1,800 yards rushing and 28 touchdowns. I covered him earlier this year when writing for a local website. He was an awesome runner, and led the Indians to an undefeated regular season. He committed to Vanderbilt over choices like L'Ville and Tennessee b/c of his value of education.

Bennett's father was killed when he was in the 6th grade. He immediately became the man of the house and helped take care of his mother and his two younger brothers, one who is a special needs 10th grader. Bennett became known for being a leader...and incredibly outspoken. He would take his two younger siblings with him to hang out with his older friends, simply b/c he cared about them that much.

This morning there was a domestic dispute between Bennett's mother and her ex husband. Apparently Bennett was attempting to defend his mother when her ex husband shot and killed him. The ex husband then shot himself in the head and died instantly.

Bennett's two siblings, his mother, and her brother had to see it all. This video was made by someone from his school.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/video/video.php?v=1268337384832&ref=mf

and here is some of his dirty work on the field.

Maybe not a huge story, but definitely one of the most tragic sports related deaths. People are just getting the word out on how "special" he was...me being one of them

Maybe not a huge story, but definitely one of the most tragic sports related deaths. People are just getting the word out on how "special" he was...me being one of them

Actually it is getting a lot of attention here on Nashville sports radio,but still it is just beyond tragic.Please keep his family in y'all prayers tonight.

Archived