Bills logo concept

Nick in England

OK - I've developed my thinking a bit on Bills logos. I've not got very far though.

Here's a sketch (hey I am no artist) that I'm thinking of taking forwards. It's based in Bills roots - circa 1960-1963 the Bills would use a fella like this on their programs. I basically think that the Buffalo concept has jumped the shark - there's only so many ways you can do it, and they have all been done now.

My own worry is that turning this thing into a logo is going to be tough - particularly for the relatively strict parameters for the NFL (which demand no more than three colours)...

Anyway - blast me.

4370289083_49d7f13473_b.jpg

4226186501_9e0cccf054_t.jpg

Just a few things I think would help this a bit...

The brim is at a bit of an awkward angle in front of his face. You should try to make the curve a bit more natural; it seems to go at about 90 degrees right now.

The hat itself is cartoonishly small, which in part is what makes the brim look so large. The hat part should appear large enough to fit on his head, it just seems to be resting on it.

You probably need to add a beard to complete the facial hair, which was very distinctive. This a pretty good pic for reference.

I'm not sure what Jezus_Ghoti is talking about with the thing sticking out of his mouth. I think he may be misinterpreting the moustache. But the eyes, I think, could stand to be a bit less cartoony.

In general, I don't know if a three-quarters profile such as this is the best way to go with a football logo, especially if it's going on the helmet. Generally side view logos look best on the helmet.

Nonetheless this is a pretty good start and I hope you finish this project. I'm glad you're taking the Buffalo Bill Cody route with this identity (I'm actually related to him funnily enough) because I feel it is so obvious even if the Buffalo Bills organization doesn't realize it.

Just a few things I think would help this a bit...

The brim is at a bit of an awkward angle in front of his face. You should try to make the curve a bit more natural; it seems to go at about 90 degrees right now.

The hat itself is cartoonishly small, which in part is what makes the brim look so large. The hat part should appear large enough to fit on his head, it just seems to be resting on it.

You probably need to add a beard to complete the facial hair, which was very distinctive. This a pretty good pic for reference.

I'm not sure what Jezus_Ghoti is talking about with the thing sticking out of his mouth. I think he may be misinterpreting the moustache. But the eyes, I think, could stand to be a bit less cartoony.

In general, I don't know if a three-quarters profile such as this is the best way to go with a football logo, especially if it's going on the helmet. Generally side view logos look best on the helmet.

Nonetheless this is a pretty good start and I hope you finish this project. I'm glad you're taking the Buffalo Bill Cody route with this identity (I'm actually related to him funnily enough) because I feel it is so obvious even if the Buffalo Bills organization doesn't realize it.

'preciate the feedback - thanks.

I guess I agree that a three quarters profile will not work. I'm struggling to think of a way to make a distinctive side profile that doesn't look too similar to either the Vikings or the Patriots.

Agree with everything else you said too - I'm no artist of any description, so if I am going to make this work I am going to have to learn how to draw and then to illustrate and then logo-ize.

Hmmm - will rethink, but suggestions welcome.

4226186501_9e0cccf054_t.jpg

OK - I've developed my thinking a bit on Bills logos. I've not got very far though.

Here's a sketch (hey I am no artist) that I'm thinking of taking forwards. It's based in Bills roots - circa 1960-1963 the Bills would use a fella like this on their programs. I basically think that the Buffalo concept has jumped the shark - there's only so many ways you can do it, and they have all been done now.

My own worry is that turning this thing into a logo is going to be tough - particularly for the relatively strict parameters for the NFL (which demand no more than three colours)...

Anyway - blast me.

4370289083_49d7f13473_b.jpg

The Ravens, Steelers, Titans and Vikings all have 4-color logos.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived