Hershey AHL All Star Classic

PatriotX03

Corny beveled star, gradiented banner, brush-script like (I know it's not exact) lettering, full bear logo, amusment park and arena renderings... wow. There's way too much happening here, and it doesn't look to me like it all goes together. I'm not sure that you need the full bear logo, and I think that the script combined with the banner is just too much. The roller coaster part is nice, as is the arena part (except that it's not really iconic enough of an arena to work well in logo form.) It also doesn't look good that the "All *" part is just floating on the left. I opened this expecting to see something that I'd really like. I was wrong.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Corny beveled star, gradiented banner, brush-script like (I know it's not exact) lettering, full bear logo, amusment park and arena renderings... wow. There's way too much happening here, and it doesn't look to me like it all goes together. I'm not sure that you need the full bear logo, and I think that the script combined with the banner is just too much. The roller coaster part is nice, as is the arena part (except that it's not really iconic enough of an arena to work well in logo form.) It also doesn't look good that the "All *" part is just floating on the left. I opened this expecting to see something that I'd really like. I was wrong.

That, and the Hershey Kiss product placement.

So what would you have done?

So what would you have done?

That's hard to say, since I'd be starting with a blank slate with no direction from the client. I could sit here and sketch out a hundred ideas, each of which would conceptually be very different. If I was to tweak what they came up with, I'd limit the references to Hershey. I count at least six (roller coaster, chocolate factory, arena, bear, kiss, banner text.) It's kind of redundant, and adds a ton of clutter. I don't think that the bear is even necessary, since it's not a Hershey Bears logo, it's a Hershey ASG logo. I really like what they did with the roller coaster and the kiss, and would like for that to stay. Maybe redo the "All Star Classic" in a less standard looking type of font, and encapsulate it in a shape (so there'd be a background behind the letters and an outline around the whole word so none of it would be floating in space. Keep it straight, or arch it. Put the other text in something other than an asymmetrically layed out banner - and integrate it a little bit with the All Star Classic text, so it looks more like one big piece as opposed to two separate elements. Use the kisses as the dividers for the words instead of stars. Now you've integrated the kisses without needing to add another floating element in there.

I'm not sure if I'd keep the star or not, but if I had to keep it, I'd certainly lose the bevels. They could keep the bear in there if required, but I'd only go with the head - NOT the full logo with the swipe lines and the body. If they keep the bear, (I'd have to see how this looks of course, it's hard to say just picturing it in my mind as I type) I'd probably leave it at that, so as not to make it too cluttery. I'd like to experment and see if there's a way to lose the bear and fill in the "money spot" of the logo with the park-related imagery. I'm a little worried that if that stuff was the focal point, it would take some of the "life" (or "fun" for lack of a better word) out of the logo, but I'd rather see it based around that than the bear. I'd have to work on it, which just isn't practical right now.

I just think it looks like a bunch of clip art, logo copy/pastes, and word art all mashed together, and it could be done much better without straying too far away from the concept.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived