Strange Milwaukee Bucks Jersey

Discogod

Alright, so I was watching the 1977 NBA Slam-dunk contest: here

Now, Alex English is wearing some weird uniform that the Bucks never wore. That year's jersey had a cursive script. The following year they went to the green striped panels. Was this a prototype, or a special made up for the contest? There's a patch on the shorts that could be an 'S'.

I know it's unlikely, but there's some pretty knowledgeable guys here, so if anyone can clear this up...

According to this very site's logos page, English's uniform was Milwaukee's original road uniform (1968-69, and then again in 1972-73). So perhaps it was a leftover.

http://www.sportslogos.net/team.php?id=225

They are two different uniforms. This one is in red letters and the 68-73 is in white letters. I am assuming it might be a protype, because the Bucks normal jerseys later that year were the Green Rainbow jerseys with Red letters.

But, that's just an assumption. Do we have a timeline of when this Dunk contest was held? Was it preseason? Postseason? In season?

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

According to the guys at APBR, it was held during the 1976-77 season, with the semis held in February at the Milwaukee ASG and the final held in Portland during the Finals. That's about all the info there is about the contest, there's not even a complete list of participants.

I'm gonna ask Paul at Uni Watch to mention it in the blog - that's about the only other place I can think of to ask.

I dunno... Hopefully, if the long-rumoured NBA uniform history book ever makes it out, there'll be some info on prototype unis, 'cause there's fudge all info on the web.

I know I probably watched that event when it first aired. I have no idea about the uniform though - I don't have any recollection of it. And, I was REALLY paying attention to those sort of things...even back in '76-'77.

I went to at least one game at Market Square Arena that season - against the eventual champion Portland Trail Blazers.

Mystery solved. These were the Bucks' road unis in 1976-77. In almost 18 years of researching NBA unis I'd never seen it before, but I found a few pictures on Getty Images. The home unis for that year were simply the one from the previous year.

The patch on the shorts - I still can't figure out what that is. The Bucks wore an antler logo patch on the shorts, but it was a different shape to the patch in the video. Also, there was a lot of inconsistency as to whether there was a patch at all - I've seen pics where the shorts were blank, and pics where just a couple of players have the patch.

Archived