Not Matching Helmets

ltjets21

Back in the day, Jimmy Foxx didn't come off the field, take off his blue A's cap, then put on a white A's cap to bat, right? The helmet is simply supposed to be a hard cap, so it should be a violation to change caps in the middle of the game (and have players wearing different caps at the same time.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

A few more pics of 1994 Throwbacks:

Broncos

PicImg_RAIDERS_V_BRONCOS_7ef0.jpg?adImageId=12932398&imageId=3184151

Patriots

NY_JETS_V_c5bf.jpg?adImageId=12932415&imageId=5873602

Oilers also had a unique helmet (sky blue).

Giants get high marks, - even though they used a blue helmet and their throwback helmet was blue, they actually bothered to use a gray facemask. They also got the pants right - and had different pants for their home and away sets.

Not baseball but nonetheless the mother of all examples:

In fairness to the Jets, this was an NFL-mandated idea that created "hybrid" throwbacks for the 1994 season. The Bills had something similar with their throwback white helmets with the current logo. While it was poor in execution just the same as what the Phillies did in Milwaukee this week, it's not 100% along the same lines. But agreed, it looked dumb.

Actually, the Bills' half-assed helmets were the then-current red shells with a white stationary 70s buffalo logo on them. Some teams in 1994 did a decent job of matching the helmets to uniforms--off the top of my head, I remember Denver, New England, San Diego, and Atlanta making decent attempts at throwback helmets.

Check on three of those (though I couldn't find a linkable Broncos pic). Couldn't find a Pats pic at all.

2164795.jpg

Skins would have looked great with the spear on that plain helmet.

That was a horrible year league-wide for uniforms in the NFL.

The Redskins throwbacks that year were based on late 30's-early 40's uniforms of the Sammy Baugh era, so any logo on those helmets would have been out of place.

The Cowboys also didn't go with a throwback helmet that year, IIRC. They had their 1960 uniform with 1994 helmets.

Archived