Not Matching Helmets

ltjets21

Am I the only one who gets annoyed when a team has a throwback and they don't wear the correct helmet, just like the Phillies did vs the brewers. It kills me even more when the Astros wear the black helmet with the White alternated. Would it kill a billionaire to buy a team a set of helmets

You are not the only one that is bothered by this. It bothers me more when a team does this when they wear the throwback more than once during the season. If it is a one time thing it bothers me a little less.

What about when a team has a road hat but doesn't have the batting helmet to match?

What team doesn't have a matching road helmet? The indians?

The Twins only have the all blue TC batting helmet.

The Indians have home and road helmets, but they don't have a helmet for the C alternate cap or the I alternate cap.

For home vs. road, I think the primary home/road hats should each have a helmet and the alt hat should not. I am glad the cards did not have a helmet for the bird on bat alt hat (do they still use that?), for example. But the Twins should have a red-brimmed road helmet. They never wear their all blue "TC" hat on the road, so why do it with a helmet?

For throwbacks, I'd prefer the correct helmet, but can live if they don't use it.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The Indians have a Blue helmet with red bill, and an all blue helmet they wear on the road that I think goes with all the alts

shin-soo-choo-300x262.jpg

grady-sizemore.jpg

It bothers me. Either retro all the way or don't retro at all. A team is at the plate half the time, so to wear the current helmet with the throwback dilutes the throwback effect. It really griped me when the Astros went retro earlier this season, then wore the black and red helmet with an otherwise blue and orange uniform. It clashed.

Also bothers me when teams have two different caps, but only one batting helmet (again, looking right at you, Astros with no red helmet for the Saturday red cap).

It is nice when teams go above and beyond and make batting helmets to match one-off throwback sets, but it I am not offended if they don't. However, for regular throwbacks and all alternate hats, baseball should make a rule that teams should have matching helmets for each different hat they wear. It is particularly silly when teams wear hats where the crown is a different color than the usual cap, such as when the Cardinals wear the bird-on-bat caps with red batting helmets. Baseball needs to step in for consistency sake.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Agreed. I think the Twins will next year. I have absolutely no empirical evidence to follow this up, but it seems to take teams a year to catch up to this after a Road hat change. KC could use a Powder Blue Helmet then, but it actually just outlines how much greater that jersey is with their normal Blue hat, ala last year.

Not baseball but nonetheless the mother of all examples:

3206536.jpg

In fairness to the Jets, this was an NFL-mandated idea that created "hybrid" throwbacks for the 1994 season. The Bills had something similar with their throwback white helmets with the current logo. While it was poor in execution just the same as what the Phillies did in Milwaukee this week, it's not 100% along the same lines. But agreed, it looked dumb.

sig2024.png

The Reds also have a different road cap but use the same helmet for all 162 games. But given how much I hate the black bill on the Reds road caps, I'm actually happy that they wear the solid red helmets every game.

For the most part, though, I share the frustration with teams that don't splurge for another set of helmets. With helmets costing about $50 each, it would only cost about $1,250 for the entire team. If they were one-time or two-time use helmets, I'm sure they could auction them off and actually make money on them. It would seem like a no-brainer.

I would LOVE to see the old Astros orange helmets and yellow Pirates helmets back on the field, and would certainly love to own one of each. I've found the Pirates yellow on ebay, but it was flapless. I want a single earflap, preferably on the right to match the rest of my collection.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that someone with an A's avatar is asking who doesn't have a road helmet? Just sayin...

KISSwall09.jpg

3206536.jpg

In fairness to the Jets, this was an NFL-mandated idea that created "hybrid" throwbacks for the 1994 season. The Bills had something similar with their throwback white helmets with the current logo. While it was poor in execution just the same as what the Phillies did in Milwaukee this week, it's not 100% along the same lines. But agreed, it looked dumb.

Actually, the Bills' half-assed helmets were the then-current red shells with a white stationary 70s buffalo logo on them. Some teams in 1994 did a decent job of matching the helmets to uniforms--off the top of my head, I remember Denver, New England, San Diego, and Atlanta making decent attempts at throwback helmets.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

3206536.jpg

Actually, the Bills' half-assed helmets were the then-current red shells with a white stationary 70s buffalo logo on them. Some teams in 1994 did a decent job of matching the helmets to uniforms--off the top of my head, I remember Denver, New England, San Diego, and Atlanta making decent attempts at throwback helmets.

Buffalo75.gif

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

3206536.jpg

Check on three of those (though I couldn't find a linkable Broncos pic). Couldn't find a Pats pic at all.

2164795.jpg

2123247.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Check on three of those (though I couldn't find a linkable Broncos pic). Couldn't find a Pats pic at all.

2164795.jpg

Skins would have looked great with the spear on that plain helmet.

That was a horrible year league-wide for uniforms in the NFL.

87Redskins.png

Archived