Creating Gradients With Transparent Colors

the_cynic

I've been using Adobe Illustrator for about 3-4 months now and there's one thing I still can't figure out. How can you create a gradient that has two colors, one transparent in the center and the other a solid that the transparent fades out to? I first tried doing it in Illustrator using the Mesh tool but I quickly figured out that you can't do that.

examples.jpg

* I created these example in Macromedia Flash where you can incorporate colors with 0% alpha.

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

:lol: Well, I'll gladly explain it.

What I did is created a circular shape on top of the logo on another layer. Then I did a radial gradient with black and white. Then I went to the Transparency palette, and changed the blending mode (the little drop down menu that says "Normal") to "Multiply". Voila.

Thanks a lot nitroseed but how do I change the position of center within the gradient?

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

make the gradient larger than needed and mask it with a smaller circle (or shape). then position the gradient like you need, and do your transparancy.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

Ahh nevermind, I found another way to do it. I'll just do what nitroseed said but this time with a Mesh.

Retired Number's To Come

Thanks a lot nitroseed but how do I change the position of center within the gradient?

Well, one way to do it would be to place a third color in the gradient and slide it off center in the gradient palette... if that makes sense.

Yeah that makes since. I figure I'll come up with my own ways of dealing with the handicaps of Illustrator. Thanks Again!

Retired Number's To Come

what program are you using to this with now? i use others that will allow the x/y offset in percentages, but ill does not. i've found the quickest way in ill is to do the oversized gradient, then mask it and move where needed. if i feel it will stay without changes, i'll trim it so there's no stray vectors. hence, the radial gradient shape will be offset, but the larger (original masked fill) is gone.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

In the past I mainly used Freehand of Flash for something like this. I used to do all my vectoring in Flash but I've transferred over to Illustrator. There's a lot of truth when people say, "once you've gone to Illustrator, you'll never go back!"

Retired Number's To Come

Archived