Oilers Owner Eyeing Ontario?

DustDevil61

I came across this, from Field of Schemes, so take it as you will. If Edmonton arena talks continue to stall, I'd like to see how the BoG and Bettman handle this one. My thoughts are that something will worked out in Edmonton, and that this isn't going to go too far (Hamilton lease). Apparently, this Copps lease might have something to do with the CFL's Tiger-Cats and a proposed Hamilton stadium, as well. Thoughts?

Some more from Field of Schemes. Why would Katz want to get exclusive rights to Copps Coliseum while keeping the Oilers? Isn't owning interest in two or more teams (be it owning the team or their arena) against NHL policy?

He's just trying to shake down Edmonton...by threatening to put a team in a place that's not allowed to have a team.

As for owning arenas of multiple teams, I'm pretty sure Anschutz operates multiple NHL arenas. If Reinsdorf bought the Coyotes, he would've done so while owning half of the United Center (the half that isn't raising championship banners in the near future). And remember that the Norris family owned like every team and/or building in the Original Six days.

β™« oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is goneΒ β™«

There are no plans for team ownership or moving anything. He's expanding his portfolio. They're building a new arena in Edmonton, no need to threaten with a move to Hamilton, of all places.

It's not that a team can't play in Copps, so much as buying territorial rights between Toronto and Buffalo notwithstanding, the Leafs enjoy a nice little hockey monopoly in southern Ontario. They aren't going to give that up without a fight.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Copps needs a good chunk of repairs, too, to get up to NHL standard. Some have pegged the bill at $200 million, while others say it's closer to $100 million.

Check out the TSN/Globe and Mail report "Why Not Canada?" that's airing this week. Pretty informative, I think, and it doesn't delve into all the "We deserve it!" crap that has been coming from Hamilton and Winnipeg for a few years now.

Archived