Need help with a logo situation

ricearoni1287

I recently created a logo/marketing ideas as part of school project for a major city's recreation department. They are interested in using the logo/brand I presented them as my final project. They said they will have some forms to fill out about the use of my logo.

Now the question is.. what do I do about getting some sort of compensation. I'm afraid that they are going to expect me to sign over my logo because it was a school project, but what is a way to ask them to get some sort of compensation in return for my hard work.

Thanks alot

phillies_rotation_signature.png

who is the 'they' is it the city or the school?

depending upon where you are, the logo may already belong to the school. here in the uk, if you produce anything of commercial value at school/ uni/ college, you have to get the college to sign the rights to something over to you. a friend of mine had to do this a few years ago.

I'm going to agree with Davidson. I signed a contract that anything I designed while in school for school projects, were properties of the school. I don't know what school you're going to, what papers you signed, or even what you're going to school for, but I'm going to take a wild guess and say that somewhere in all the papers you signed was the line that anything you create is school property.

sorry for the limited information.. to clarify I am not a design major, I am a Sport and Recreaion major so I signed no papers. Photoshop and design is a hobby of mine that I taught myself and just used my skill to enhance this project.

So, I own the logos I made. The project was to come up with marketing ideas for the CITYs recreation department. So I decided to use my skills and create a whole new brand for them and create a logo and marketing plan based around that. I own the logo, I didn't sign anything, but they will have me sign something granting them permission to use it.

I am just wondering if it is right to ask for compensation, or just enjoy the fact that they are using it and use it as a resume builder.

Thanks for the help, sorry for the confusion

phillies_rotation_signature.png

What I'd do is walk in with a contract, stating what you want to be compensated for (aka how much). I'm serious. Don't screw yourself. They want you to sign the contract because they want it for free. It wouldn't hurt to read their contract to find out their terms, but also have a contract with you stating your terms and politely say, "You're contract is nice, but actually I have my own contract and terms that need to be met, for you to use my work." One, you'll probably throw them for a loop because they won't expect you to have a contract, nor want anything back. Cities are cheap like that, I know I work for one. Two, it makes you come across as a professional and that you have your stuff together. Three, if they like your work, they'll pay for it. Remember, if you've rebranded a city program, it's not a one time poster, it'll be used for years and across many platforms. If you're good enough to have a city want to use your stuff, you're good enough to ask for what you believe you deserve and get it.

What I'd do is walk in with a contract, stating what you want to be compensated for (aka how much). I'm serious. Don't screw yourself. They want you to sign the contract because they want it for free. It wouldn't hurt to read their contract to find out their terms, but also have a contract with you stating your terms and politely say, "You're contract is nice, but actually I have my own contract and terms that need to be met, for you to use my work." One, you'll probably throw them for a loop because they won't expect you to have a contract, nor want anything back. Cities are cheap like that, I know I work for one. Two, it makes you come across as a professional and that you have your stuff together. Three, if they like your work, they'll pay for it. Remember, if you've rebranded a city program, it's not a one time poster, it'll be used for years and across many platforms. If you're good enough to have a city want to use your stuff, you're good enough to ask for what you believe you deserve and get it.

This is exactly what you should do.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

sorry for the limited information.. to clarify I am not a design major, I am a Sport and Recreaion major so I signed no papers. Photoshop and design is a hobby of mine that I taught myself and just used my skill to enhance this project.

So, I own the logos I made. The project was to come up with marketing ideas for the CITYs recreation department. So I decided to use my skills and create a whole new brand for them and create a logo and marketing plan based around that. I own the logo, I didn't sign anything, but they will have me sign something granting them permission to use it.

I am just wondering if it is right to ask for compensation, or just enjoy the fact that they are using it and use it as a resume builder.

Thanks for the help, sorry for the confusion

doesnt matter what you major in, it will have been in the terms of enrollment at the school. im pretty sure its universal in the uk, and id be surprised if the same wasnt the case in the us.

having said that, i dont see why they would be bothered about something like this (i initially thought you were selling it back to the school). there is no reason you shouldnt make a few quid out of it. dont go nuts tho, remember this isnt a pro job and they wont want to pay for one.

Archived