Old vs New Soda Logos: Which do your prefer?

Master Amino

Some expired soda there. Merchandisers never rotate. I'm always finding expired 12-packs in the displays and on the shelves.

Possibly, but not necessarily. Mountain Dew has yet to refresh numerous designs, including Code Red. In fact, Diet Mountain Dew Code Red still has the "New Look/Same Dew" tagline on the boxes and cans from when that design (same as the Code Red in my pic) debuted. I'd imagine Livewire, being seasonal and maybe regional (like Diet Code Red), is in the same boat.

Pepsi One is another example of yet to update.

kU6ns.gif

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In this order:

1. Call it by the name. Why waste breath? Just say, "I'll have a Coke, Pepsi, Sprite, Dr Pepper or whatever."

2. Pop. It's the only one of the 'big three' that can't be confused for another item. Therefore, it's the most efficient way to speak of soft drinks.

3. Soda. If I walk into a bar and order a 'soda,' I'll get carbonated water, a.k.a. club soda, sparking water, soda water, etc. If I order a 'scotch and soda,' I'll get, you guessed it, scotch mixed with some carbonated water. Soda is carbonated water. Pop is prepackaged, sugary and/or otherwise flavored carbonated water. Totally different item. Soda gets its name from the sodium salts it contains, added as flavoring and acidity regulators often to mimic the taste of natural mineral water. Soft drinks generally don't contain these sodium salts.

4. Coke. I just don't see how this is even useful anymore. Everywhere you go has more than one type of soft drink nowadays, so it's really lost its functionality. Back when restaurants in the south only had Coke (because the plant is in Atlanta), it was fine to say, "I'll have a Coke." because there wasn't any confusion about what type you would be getting.

What if you tell the waitress, "I'll have a Coke." and she replies, "Sure. Which kind?" then you say, "Well, I'd like a Coke." She has to then say, "Yeah, I heard you. I said which kind?" if you were to follow the logic set forth by using the term 'Coke' to begin with. Turns into a 'Who's on first' sort of deal doesn't it?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived