NAVY Blue Angels Concept

pianoknight

So earlier this year, Air Force unveiled their concept uniforms that celebrate the Thunderbirds, the Air Force's flight demonstration unit. It got me thinking that as a kid we used to watch the Navy's Blue Angels team, which is roughly the same counterpart unit within the Naval flight squadron.

If you're unfamiliar with the Blue Angels, Google them. They are some of the sickest pilots in the sky. Real crack aces.

Anyway, for the concept, I kept the color scheme to the navy and gold that they use on their jets. I also added a nickel color since most jets are typically that slate-nickel color. The helmets carry a revamping of the Blue Angels "Four in Formation" logo, while the chest bears the official patch of the Blue Angels.

Of course US Flags adorn the sides, like a standard military uniform, and the pants carry a stripe pattern that has been used in variations across several US jets, I just changed the colors from our national Red-White-Blue to the color scheme that fits this set.

No need for an away jersey as this set is merely an alternate set for Navy. Most likely they'd wear them against the Air Force Thunderbirds concept or maybe Army and their camo-inspired duds.

blueangels.png

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

First, I think the blue angels concept only works with blue monochrome or blue helmet and jersey with gold pants. I also think it calls out for a tapered helmet stripe more than any other concept, because of the design that flanks the canopy and also appears underneath the front portion of the aircraft. I think the helmet also calls out for the 'U.S. Navy' lettering found beneath the wings.

k48sjn.jpg

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I don't disagree with anything Andrew suggested. That said, I'm going to commend you for the flags on the sleeves facing the correct way, with the canton at the front on both sides. It's one of those little details that could very easily be overlooked (and often is), so thank you.

teamlogossig.png

There comes a point when you don't stand for the constant heartbreak anymore, and walk away.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I actually googled a Blue Angel pilot's helmet and they're pretty plain. Just navy blue with maybe a touch of gold. And yes, the tapered stripe down the fuselage was an element that I was going to include on the helmet but when I coupled that with gold pants, they just looked too much like Michigan, IMO.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived