St. Louis Cardinals 1998 Logos

TruColor

I've been going through some of my files, and have noticed some interesting items.

Most of you probably already knew this, but when the St. Louis Cardinals modified their logos for the 1998 season, they originally intended the beak to be Red, and the eyes to be Yellow:

Here's the 1998 version:

SaintLouisCardinals_PML1_1998.png

...and then from 1999 on, they have been using this:

SaintLouisCardinals_PML1_1999-9999.png

I can't remember the exact story here, but I believe that actual cardinals have Red beaks that gradually turn Yellow as they get older (or is it the other way around?), so either way works I guess.

Personally, I think the Yellow beaks work better design-wise.

Also, the Cardinals had a secondary logo that was only around for the '98 season:

SaintLouisCardinals_SEL1_1998.png

I'm going to post more of these kinds of things as I find them.

I've been looking for that Cardinal on baseball logo for a long time. I always wondered what happened to that. There's of course no real good reason to have that logo, but it may have it's uses.

I remember in 1998 they changed the shade of the red. That was the story and controversy anyways. I don't think they changed the textiles, though, or if they did it was very slight, so the controversy didn't amount to anything because nobody noticed.

And then that was the year they updated the birds (and I believe they switched which bird's tail went in front of the bat on the BirdS on the Bat logo). I never realized the red beak logo was anything more than a mistake/print decision (although since there is a yellow eye and yellow bat, print wouldn't explain it anyways). I'm very thankful they did switch back to the yellow beak, though. It just looks better. Although I think part of that is the eye. A yellow eye looks weird.

I've been looking for that Cardinal on baseball logo for a long time. I always wondered what happened to that. There's of course no real good reason to have that logo, but it may have it's uses.

I remember in 1998 they changed the shade of the red. That was the story and controversy anyways. I don't think they changed the textiles, though, or if they did it was very slight, so the controversy didn't amount to anything because nobody noticed.

And then that was the year they updated the birds (and I believe they switched which bird's tail went in front of the bat on the BirdS on the Bat logo). I never realized the red beak logo was anything more than a mistake/print decision (although since there is a yellow eye and yellow bat, print wouldn't explain it anyways). I'm very thankful they did switch back to the yellow beak, though. It just looks better. Although I think part of that is the eye. A yellow eye looks weird.

Yeah, Red changed - both in terms of spot color and textile color. Actually, the textile for the Navy changed as well:

SaintLouisCardinals_FRC_1997_TEX_SRGB.png

SaintLouisCardinals_FRC_2002_TEX_SRGB.png

I have also been looking all over the place for that "baseball" logo. I am pretty positive that it was just mainly used around the stadium (Busch Stadium 2). They were up at by the World Series and retired number pennants.

Archived