Designing High School Logos/Identities

knnhrvy16

Hey guys!

During this semester here at USU, I've discovered that I really want to turn my hobby of designing logos and sports identities into a career. I'm pretty fed up with my current major (political science) and I figure, if I'm never going to really go into that, I may as well do what I love. Anyways, I want to really dive into it, but I want to work my way up and start locally with high schools. Especially nowadays, where colleges are cracking down on the use of thier logos, I believe High Schools need much more originality (especially in here in Utah) and I feel this is a window of opportunity for me to start designing.

I wanted to ask those who have designed for high schools, what is the experience like, what are some things to look for and know, and what are usually your asking prices? What is the best way to approach a school to offer your services?

Any advice you can give, I'd greatly appreciate. Thanks in advance!

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Hmmm...maybe you could start with my alma mater, Kanab HS. I don't know who's in charge of their uniforms, or if they'll be changing soon, but I'll try to talk with the coach about something.

But as for for actually designing and the process involved, I have no idea how it pans out.

Hmmm...maybe you could start with my alma mater, Kanab HS. I don't know who's in charge of their uniforms, or if they'll be changing soon, but I'll try to talk with the coach about something.

But as for for actually designing and the process involved, I have no idea how it pans out.

You went to Kanab? Very cool! I lived in Blanding from when I was one until I was eight, and my dad taught at San Juan. I never attended, but I'm a Bronco at heart haha. I think they played against you guys a few times, I don't remember for certain but I'm sure they were great games! You guys have always had pretty good teams it seems!

Anyways, yeah I'd be glad to tackle Kanab if he was interested. I haven't followed them too much lately, do they still use that red star with the white "KC" in it as thier primary?

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

#1 Do you have a portfolio of work. If not, then put one together of your best 10 pieces and if you want to design the whole shebang, then you'll have to have in the portfolio logos, wordmarks, uniforms, banners, sweatshirts, etc. Make sure you have multiple teams, schools and a variation of each. Don't give them a price, just show them what you can do, and leave a business card or something unique to remember you by. Maybe do a mini helmet with your logo on it and leave it as a "gift" for them to remember you by. I will say the best way for you to get into doing this is to know people who know a coach or the AD, because cold-contacting won't get you far. Go to games and talk to people and network and put your face and name out there.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Oddball, I don't have a portfolio necessarily, but I have all of my work collected in a folder on my computer. I can certainly make a good portfolio out of that, and regarding the networking, luckily a good friend of mine's father is the AD at a school close to where I'm from, maybe I can start there. That is great advice regarding contacting as well, I appreciate all of your help greatly!

And AJM, thanks for the link to that thread. I have read it already, but it will be good to continually go back and continue to see any updates on the thread and see what some people's opinions are on that matter. Part of the reason I want to act now is because of the colleges cracking down. I'm one of those who want high schools to have original identities, and have seen many all across the nation that do, and make it work greatly. I want to be able to bring that to high schools here, especially where as I've said before, Utah is a strong example of schools who borrow identities rather than make them. Thanks again, I'll be using that link often! :)

Thanks for all of your help, and if anyone has anymore advice, I'm completely all ears towards it. Feel free!

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

Keep in mind a lot of high schools don't have money for rebranding. If you have no portfolio to show, odds are people aren't going to throw money your way anyway. I have done work for high schools pro bono. One, it helps you build a portfolio. And secondly, that can lead to more (paying) jobs, and so on. A good place to start is your alma mater, or some place you have ties or connections too. Good Luck.

Archived