Boston/new York

mac

Well since everyone expect JQK is complaining about the Yankees & Red Sox getting so much exposure........what would all of you like to see aired more? Let me guess.........HOCKEY!

damn straight, little man!

Well let me be the first on here to tell you something...........AMERICA isn't interested in hockey! I know my comment may piss a couple of people off but don't blame me for not liking hockey. Blame the commish of the NHL or whatever for their poor advertising or lack there of!

Thank you for speaking for all of america, I used to love hockey, but now I guess I'm not interested. Oh well.

Oh come on, I'm talking about the majority of American's. ESPN airs what sells! It's as plain and simply as that! As far as popularity, there's 3 other sports ahead of hockey in America today. Can you really blame ESPN for going with those 3 top sports of hockey?

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Oh come on, I'm talking about the majority of American's. ESPN airs what sells! It's as plain and simply as that! As far as popularity, there's 3 other sports ahead of hockey in America today. Can you really blame ESPN for going with those 3 top sports of hockey?

I agree... although ESPN could do a lot more to make hockey popular (they've given it the shaft for much of its existence), they exist to show the sports people want to watch and make money, not buoy sports that aren't doing so well.

...and although it's tough to accept the generalization that America doesn't want to watch hockey, it's the same as saying America loves football. You could find millions of people who disagree, but that's not the issue, the issue is that relatively speaking, of all sports, America has a particular fascination with their own brand of football.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

There's a cycle here.

America in general doesn't care for hockey. >>> ESPN sees the lack of care and doesn't show much hockey. >>> America gets less exposure to hockey and cares less about it. >>> etc.

ESPN could change the cycle a bit and start increasing it's amount of hockey though.

I enjoy watching hockey anyway.

As for the Yanks vs. the BoSox...exciting, but screw it. I hate that FOX and ESPN call it THE BEST RIVALRY IN SPORTS, or even when they just say in BASEBALL. As a Cardinal fan, I'll tell you it's the Cards vs. Cubs. I'll make my arguement for that in a minute. However, do you have to believe me? Nope, but I don't think ESPN or FOX have the right (of course technically they do) to decide that.

Cards vs. Cubs is a better rivalry because it's not as hostile. Baseball is America's pasttime, and it's always made out to be a fun, family-oriented thing. What better way to ruin that then advertise the Yanks vs. BoSox as its best rivalry? That's not too say that intense competition and a little bit of heat in a rivalry isn't good. It's great. The Yanks and BoSox over do it. It could be said the Cards and Cubs underdo it, but I think starting last year, the Cards and Cubs got the right balance. You won't find much hate between Cards and Cubs fans, in fact, we're curtious to eachother, but we can get pretty intense about baseball. The players, partly because the Cubs finally don't suck (that bad), have exchange words over the last year, too. Mark Prior (jerk to me now) said some really stupid things, Matt Morris answered. Steve Kline has said some stuff, too. Tony LaRussa and Dusty Baker have had a long rivalry no matter what teams. Regardless, pretty much all the battling is done on the field by playing baseball. There is finally more of an intense feeling over the games, but not a hatred feeling between the teams and there fans. Simply put, the Cards and Cubs rivalry is friendly and intense, and better for baseball if it wants to keep its past and current reputation.

I agree with Syphi, and STL on the cycle thing. If the NHL and ESPN actually promoted the NHL the NHL would be much popular. Back before ESPN got the NBA there was a hockey game on almost everynight on either ESPN or ESPN2. And If I remember right the ratings were higher then.

I disagree with you STL, The Cards-Cubs are not the best rivalry, it's too friendly, there needs to be real hatred for one another. Although the Yankees_Red-Sox aren't really that much of rivals. Come the big games against each other it's like a hammer being a rival with a nail.

There is hatred with the two, although a vast majority of it is from Red Sox fans who are probably tired of the 80 something years of losing to the Yankees. Although niether owner can stand to lose to one another, Both of them go craxy to beat each other. Sometimes to crazy.

Archived