Two questions- Please read!

DeFrank

Hi, thanks for reading this...

1. How do I convert a .ai file into a .jpeg, png, whatever? Or do you even need to?

2. How do I paste in a logo, without a block of white space (or another color) behind it? This is in illustrator. I tried to use photoshop to fix it, removed backgrounds and such, but nothing works.

Thanks!

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

Hi, thanks for reading this...

1. How do I convert a .ai file into a .jpeg, png, whatever? Or do you even need to?

2. How do I paste in a logo, without a block of white space (or another color) behind it? This is in illustrator. I tried to use photoshop to fix it, removed backgrounds and such, but nothing works.

Thanks!

I use CS3 and it could vary if you have a different version, but probably not. I dont have Illustrator in front of me right now, but if I remember right, go to FILE - click SAVE FOR WEB AND DEVICES (or it says something similar to that) - then it will take you to a screen where you can choose to save it as a jpeg, or png, or gif.

I personally use gif because it eliminates the white block background, but Ive been told that gif isnt the best always since it could mess with colors or something, but Ive never had a problem with it. Maybe someone else on here knows for sure what is the best way to save.

Hope that helps. Im not sure if I answered your second question, but this should solve your first question.

You can do this a couple of different ways.

In Illustrator...

[1] Goto 'File>Save for Web & Devices'

[2] Select PNG-24 with transparency.

NOTE: JPG doesn't support transparency.

In Photoshop...

[1] Open the .AI file and rasterize.

[2] Goto 'File>Save for Web & Devices'

[3] Select PNG-24 with transparency.

You'd only want to rasterize an Illustrator file when you're finished and looking to produce a format for posting a proof. Otherwise always work in vector and keep the original .AI file!!

It all depends on the original logo format... if it's JPG it will always have a white background when you place it in Illustrator. You can draw a clipping path around it in Illustrator and use it as a mask but that can be time consuming and a pain.

If you 'fix' the logo in Photoshop to remove the background you'll need to save it as .GIF or .PNG with transparency before placing in Illustrator.

Hope that is what you're looking for but hard to know for sure without an understanding of what you're trying to accomplish.

Archived