Orange County Royals

Brad McPelican

Couple things:

The color scheme is very dated. Putting two warm colors like yellow and orange together is very 1970s-1980s. I'd mix in a darker color, and maybe nix one of the lighter colors.

The logo is a bit dated as well. Putting a more modern twist on that old Royals logo could work better.

Also, it mioght just be me, but there seems to be a centering issue with the number and the wordmark. They don't look perfecty lined up to me. but that's just something minor.

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

I like it but you need to keep the name kings for it to work in this color scheme. By changing it to Royals and not have royal blue in the scheme doesn't work IMO.

I've heard people (maybe you) make this comment with respect to Kings/Royals concepts before, but I don't think it makes any sense.

'Royal' doesn't just refer to blue. It could refer to purple, for example. Also, royal families' crests and garments include many colors beyond blue and purple, such as red, gold and silver. It doesn't have to be blue to be royal.

Back to the concept...I think it's a very worthy update of a traditional logo set, and I think it was very clever to make the bottom of the primary look like it could be a basketball -or- an orange. It ties the logo into the locale, which not many relocated franchises tend to do. (see also: Hornets, New Orleans).

I think the comment about putting yellow and orange together is valid. Perhaps darkening the orange and leaving the yellow the same would achieve the same effect as adding a 'dark' color like blue/purple. Maybe consider the slate color suggested, but perhaps as an outline?

I like it but you need to keep the name kings for it to work in this color scheme. By changing it to Royals and not have royal blue in the scheme doesn't work IMO.

I've heard people (maybe you) make this comment with respect to Kings/Royals concepts before, but I don't think it makes any sense.

'Royal' doesn't just refer to blue. It could refer to purple, for example. Also, royal families' crests and garments include many colors beyond blue and purple, such as red, gold and silver. It doesn't have to be blue to be royal.

Back to the concept...I think it's a very worthy update of a traditional logo set, and I think it was very clever to make the bottom of the primary look like it could be a basketball -or- an orange. It ties the logo into the locale, which not many relocated franchises tend to do. (see also: Hornets, New Orleans).

I think the comment about putting yellow and orange together is valid. Perhaps darkening the orange and leaving the yellow the same would achieve the same effect as adding a 'dark' color like blue/purple. Maybe consider the slate color suggested, but perhaps as an outline?

I've never commented on a Kings/Royals concept before other then this.

You do make a good point about the color, but as a marketing tool I personally think it would make more sense for a Royal team to have a blue or a purple so people can easily recognize them becuase well the average American isn't that smart (no offense to anyone)

You point would make more sense too if there were red, or a silver or even gold, in the current design, instead of just cream and yellow.

The way the concept currently looks it just looks too much like a D-league.

But it is a well thought out unique idea.

3535rx3.jpg

Archived