Mavericks logo

rcb05

The "Mavs logo realization" on the Sports Logos board inspired me to do this, something I've wanted to do for quite some time. One of my main dislikes of the current mavs logo is the heavy use of black, despite the fact that black is nowhere on the teams uniforms. So I switched out the black for the Mavs navy blue color. Other tweaks include:

- Made the arc on the top of the shield convex instead of concave.

- Simplified the shading on the horse (got rid of some of the superfluous gray)

- Got rid of the "border flares" around the wordmark.

OLD

dallas-mavericks.gif

NEW

5716602947_02f8f72382_z.jpg

pretty good start here. i think since you've gone this for, you can change up the colors a bit more. that lighter blue (cyan?) is so intense, even without the black. maybe try a sky blue?

the banner may look better in the navy as well, with the way you have it so the navy outline meets the banner. that way it looks like everything on the outside is one color. simplify it even more, take the stroke off of "Mavericks"

the "M" on the forehead should be silver i think, because the mane is silver.

put a normal star, with out the warp on there. i dont really know why they gave it that perspective. make the star a bit smaller so its not overlapping the banner and just sits in that area at the bottom of the shield. if you think it needs it at all

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I agree with your attempt to get rid of the black. I dont understand why they use black only on the logo but nowhere else. That being said, It think this is a downgrade.

First, the flares on the real logo around the wordmark look nice to me. They add something and it helps enclose the whole logo (except for the ends of the wordmark) in one dark color. On yours, the light blue seems out of place without any darker color outside of it, becaues the rest of the logo has a darker outer color.

Second, the background triangle shape in the real logo is something unique in shape. It bends downward on top. the shape you use is fine and it looks okay, but it's the more typical shape that is used in plenty of other logos, so I dont see a reason to change it.

just my 2cents

UPDATE:

I made the banner navy to match the outline. I also made the "M" on the horse's forehead silver, and simplified the star (not warped) and reduced it's size.

5727238268_20a9826296_z.jpg

Also, I think my favorite part of this update is the changes to the horsehead logo.

175px-Mav_logoHD.png5726807735_620b6ffc5e_m.jpg

UPDATE:

I made the banner navy to match the outline. I also made the "M" on the horse's forehead silver, and simplified the star (not warped) and reduced it's size.

5727238268_20a9826296_z.jpg

Also, I think my favorite part of this update is the changes to the horsehead logo.

175px-Mav_logoHD.png5726807735_620b6ffc5e_m.jpg

Sorry but this is one instance where BFBS is completely necessary. There simply isn't enough contrast between the shades of Navy and Royal blue to make it "pop." Also losing the shading is a mistake as the definition of the horse has been significantly reduced.

That logo on the bottom left is exactly what the Mav's should use. Add a simple script (since for some reason every NBA logo has to have the team name and city arbitrarily written out) and it's good to go.

Archived