Broncos stadium renamed Sports Authority Field at Mile High

roxfan00

What does "at Mile High" even mean? Is the stadium in a municipality known as "Mile High"? Or is it nothing more than a poorly made reference to its predecessor? If anything other than the former, "at Mile High" really makes no sense.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think it's built on the Mile High Stadium parking lot, so it exists within the same general "zone." And I suppose the stadium is a mile above sea level, so you can say it's at one mile high. Maybe it is stupid, but I'm sure it's a Denver thang and we wouldn't understand.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think it's built on the Mile High Stadium parking lot, so it exists within the same general "zone." And I suppose the stadium is a mile above sea level, so you can say it's at one mile high. Maybe it is stupid, but I'm sure it's a Denver thang and we wouldn't understand.

That's pretty much it. Denver is known as the Mile High city, and there are references to this all over the place. One example is the row of purple seats at Coors Field mark one mile high. However, the 'at Mile High' is more so in reference the old Mile High Stadium. When the new one was built, most fans, and some of the local media, insisted it be called nothing else but the new Mile High. When naming rights were sold to Invesco, everyone was pissed off, sot the 'at Mile High' was an attempt at appeasement. To this day, a lot of people still hate the fact that it is not just called Mile High Stadium.

But it may just be a 'Denver thang and [you] wouldn't understand' I suppose.

It's just the wording that's odd - "at Mile High."

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived