Broncos stadium renamed Sports Authority Field at Mile High

roxfan00

Welcome to Sports Authority Field at Mile High.

It's official. As of this afternoon, the Metropolitan Football Stadium District has unanimously voted to rename the home of the Broncos, previously named Invesco Field at Mile High.

Sports Authority, an Englewood-headquartered sporting goods company, has a deal in place with the Broncos and Invesco Ltd. and has taken over the naming rights of the 10-year-old stadium in Denver.

Sports Authority will replace the 10 years remaining on Invesco's initial naming rights deal, but the Stadium District will explore other potential offers before extending the deal with Sports Authority for an extra 15 years through the year 2035.

Sports Authority will pay an average of $6 million per year to have its name on the Broncos' stadium, with 50 percent of that revenue going to the team and 50 percent going to the stadium district. Matt Sugar, a former stadium district spokesman who has been brought back as a consultant, said the stadium district uses its taxpayer funding to make capital improvements to the stadium.

Besides games played by the Broncos, the stadium has hosted the Democratic National Convention, concerts and other sports events.

The first regular-season Broncos game at Invesco Field at Mile High was played Sept. 10, 2001. The next day became forever known as 9/11. The Broncos are 86-74 in the 10 seasons since Invesco Field became their stadium.

Invesco Field has hosted just two NFL playoff games ? both at the end of the 2005 season. The Broncos beat the New England Patriots 27-13 before losing the AFC championship game to the Pittsburgh Steelers 34-17.

Denver Post

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

And 90% of fans will still just call it "Mile High."

Pretty much and always will.

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

I mostly hear it refered to as "Invesco" from friends, co-workers and neighbors who are Broncos fans ..... Come to think of it, nobody I know calls the new stadium "Mile High" -- but I suppose you're a little closer to Denver than I am, FWTW.

6uXNWAo.png

It'll always be Mile High to me, but that's a generational thing, just depends on what you grew up with. I understand why marketing has such a place in sports (and life) but that doesn't mean I have to like it. Some of the team networks that broadcast preseason games now have sponsors for just about every play. "And there's another Joe Bob Motors first down." Bleh.

Pretty soon we'll have Christmas Presented by Toys 'R Us. :cry:

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Pretty soon we'll have Christmas Presented by Toys 'R Us. :cry:

I'm all for Boxing Day presented by Everlast.... ^_^

Ok, so in Colorado, there's Dicks Sporting Goods Park, now Sports Authority Field... let's see if they're going to remane Coors Field, Foot Locker Park.

I saw, I came, I left.

Almost forgot...was watching Saints-49ers when the Saints got inside the Niner 20 and were said to have entered the "Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning Red Zone." No, really...

slap-ya-mama-original-cajun-seasoning-4oz_1_std.jpg

File that one under "Only in New Orleans."

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Almost forgot...was watching Saints-49ers when the Saints got inside the Niner 20 and were said to have entered the "Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning Red Zone." No, really...

slap-ya-mama-original-cajun-seasoning-4oz_1_std.jpg

File that one under "Only in New Orleans."

Well, if they HAVE to get a sponsor for the red zone....:D

Does anyone have pics of the actual stadium logo on the stadium?

I went by the stadium this morning on the light rail, coincidentally as I read this. They have the old Invesco sign down and there is a just a blank spot where it used to be. So as of yet, no, it hasn't been placed.

Sports_authority_field_logo.jpg

I like the mountains in the logo at least

I don't know anybody that referred to it as "Invesco Field" that didn't have to for official reasons. Every last one of my Bronco fan friends in Colorado called it "The New Mile High" or "Mile High Stadium" or, simply, "Mile High."

So this makes almost no difference in the day-to-day world of Colorado. However, the red is nasty. I realize that's Sports Authority's color, but this will just look bizarre in the branding around the very orange and blue stadium. And what's with the corners? Go sharp or go rounded, don't go both. The silver is likewise out of place and unneeded, besides being a very lazy "add stroke" move that rounds off the sharp corners.

Lazy, lazy logo.

Does anyone have pics of the actual stadium logo on the stadium?

I went by the stadium this morning on the light rail, coincidentally as I read this. They have the old Invesco sign down and there is a just a blank spot where it used to be. So as of yet, no, it hasn't been placed.

Thanks. It will cool to see it when they put up.

Romans 5:8

NikoLazar.com

Awful.

I don't actually know of anybody that called it "Mile High", to be honest. Myself and just about everybody I know always referred to it as Invesco Field. But Sports Authority Field just sounds stupid.

IUe6Hvh.png

• 2 weeks later...

Awful.

I don't actually know of anybody that called it "Mile High", to be honest. Myself and just about everybody I know always referred to it as Invesco Field. But Sports Authority Field just sounds stupid.

I agree. I lived there for 12 years myself, and everyone I knew called it "Invesco Field", or just "Invesco". "Mile High" was the old stadium that got torn down.

Archived