Anybody Want to Recolor the RWB Teams?

pianoknight

So I'm not the greatest concept artist myself, but I thought it would be interesting to start a discussion/concept thread for teams that wear combinations of Red, White and Blue.

Currently, there are 25 RWB teams in the Big 4 sports. And notice that this DOES NOT include teams who only rock Blue and White! If you added those teams (see: Yankees, Cowboys, Maple Leafs), you have 52 out of 122 pro sports teams that wear Blue, White and/or Red. That's 43% of all major North American sports. Ugh.

Some of these teams are arguably entitled to a RWB scheme due to their "American History" theme (see: Patriots, Nationals, 76ers). But here are all the RWB violators. Who should change?

NBA - 5

-LA Clippers

-Philadelphia 76ers

-NJ/NY Nets

-Detroit Pistons

-Atlanta Hawks

NFL - 5

-Buffalo Bills

-New England Patriots

-Houston Texans

-Tennessee Titans

-NY Giants

NHL - 5

-Colorado Avalanche

-Columbus Blue Jackets

-Montreal Canadiens

-NY Rangers

-Washington Capitals

MLB - 10

-Anaheim/LA Angels

-Atlanta Braves

-Boston Red Sox

-Chicago Cubs

-Cleveland Indians

-Minnesota Twins

-Philadelphia Phillies

-St. Louis Cardinals

-Texas Rangers

-Washington Nationals

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Personally, I'd like to see the Houston Texans go with earth tones, maybe brown and gold. I realize that they took their color palette (and logo) straight off the Texas state flag, but I think they could also consider capitalizing off the Old West theme. Same goes for the Texas Rangers, for that matter.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

NBA

-LA Clippers: A Hippie Scheme (Or Not)

-NJ/NY Nets: See NY RANGERS

-Detroit Pistons: Add Anthracite

-Atlanta Hawks: Drop off Blue.

NFL

-New England Patriots

-Tennessee Titans: Add More Powder Blue

-NY Giants: See NY RANGERS

NHL

-Colorado Avalanche: Is not Red, IT'S BURGUNDY.

-Columbus Blue Jackets: Throw off the Red and add Gold. The Team is BLUE Jackets

-Montreal Canadiens: I will not Accept any Change. Non en la sainte flanelle!

-NY Rangers: All Teams of NY have to change Red by Orange. (Islanders aren't from NY)

-Washington Capitals: DC United Color Scheme

MLB

-Anaheim/LA Angels: Sky Blue and Gold.

-Atlanta Braves: Brop Blue and Pick uo gold and black.

-Boston Red Sox: Drop off The Blue. The team is called RED SOX

-Philadelphia Phillies: Portland Timbers Scheme Fit nice, IMO

-St. Louis Cardinals: They aren't red. are CARDINAL

-Texas Rangers: Like the Texas Rangers Uniformas. Gray and Gold.

Hope you have a Color List in your computer. You need know the difference between Red, Bordeaux, Maroon, Cardinal and Burgundy.

Hope you have a Color List in your computer. You need know the difference between Red, Bordeaux, Maroon, Cardinal and Burgundy.

I realize that those are different shades, but they're all within the "red" family. Just saying that there's a lot of similarity.

Wish there were more teams wearing the "seldom used" colors like browns, purples and oranges.

UyDgMWP.jpg

-LA Clippers - I've played around with maroon and orange and it doesn't look bad.

-Philadelphia 76ers - keep it the same.

-NJ/NY Nets - silver/navy. Maybe add a royal blue/teal instead of red.

-Detroit Pistons - somone said red/blue/anthracite, I agree.

-Atlanta Hawks - red/yellow. That is all.

-Buffalo Bills - keep the same, but use navy some more

-New England Patriots - same.

-Houston Texans - orange/gold. Imagine it.

-Tennessee Titans - They really use powder/navy more, but I'd rather see powder/red than anything for Tennessee.

-NY Giants - Can't really do anything with them...

-Colorado Avalanche - Purple/silver/their current blue.

-Columbus Blue Jackets - Two-tone blue/silver

-Montreal Canadiens - Keep it the same.

-NY Rangers - Keep the Same.

-Washington Capitals - Royal/gold/black works.

-Anaheim/LA Angels - I've played around with (and very much liked) the idea of red/gold/powder.

-Atlanta Braves - Keep the same.

-Boston Red Sox - Swap navy with green.

-Chicago Cubs - Gotta keep it the same.

-Cleveland Indians - Darken the red to maroon

-Minnesota Twins - Vikings' colors. Purple/yellow.

-Philadelphia Phillies - Maroon/poweder.

-St. Louis Cardinals - Maroon/red/yellow. Love that.

-Texas Rangers - I'd personally keep it the same.

-Washington Nationals - Add gold.

If I have some time, I might do a couple of these.

MK8_Iggy.pngMK8_Lemmy.pngMK8_Ludwig.pngMK8_Morton.png

*DISCLAIMER*

In no way am I suggesting that these teams ditch their red, white, and blue colour schemes. I'm just engaging in a little thought experiment to explore what teams could adopt a different colour scheme.

NBA

Los Angeles Clippers

bvv028jd1hhr8ee8ii7a0fg4i.png

Going with their light blue and orange colour scheme from 1978-1982

Atlanta Hawks

kqhjtzl2ik3gnxsnwsn8yf002.png

Didn't even have to recolour this one. Just return to the red, gold, and black from 1995-2007.

Detroit Pistons- they tried something other then red, white, and blue, and it was horrible.

New Jersey/Brooklyn Nets- they haven't been a traditional red, white, and blue team in a while, and there's no guarantee they'll keep that colour scheme once they re-brand for the Brooklyn move.

Philadelphia 76ers- teams that are named after the American Revolution should be able to keep the colours of the United States.

Washington Bullets- see Detroit Pistons.

NFL

Buffalo Bills

n0fd1z6xmhigb0eej3323ebwq.png

I went with their original lighter blue and nickle colour scheme from 1960.

New England Patriots- see Philadelphia 76ers.

Houston Texans- given the state-themed name, I don't think any other colours would fit.

Tennessee Titans- this may just be me, but I don't consider double blue, red, and white to be the same as red, white, and blue

New York Giants- what else would they wear?

NHL

Montreal Canadiens

124-Copy.png

I went with the red, green, and white colour scheme used from 1910-1911. Plus red, white, and green were the colours of the French Canadian Lower Canadian Rebellion of 1837-1838.

New York Rangers

144-Copy.png

Obviously blue, white, and orange are the colours of the Islanders, but the Rangers could have easily adopted these colours in the beginning. The colours pay homage to New York's Dutch heritage.

Washington Capitals

llrs2zxi127vkqgcsvfb.png

The Capitals are a team that can easily get away with red, white, and blue, but I don't think the current logo in the 1995-2007 era colours looks to bad.

Colorado Avalanche- maroon and slate blue doesn't come off as red, white, and blue to me.

Columbus Blue Jackets- given the Union Civil War reference in the name, the colours work.

MLB

Atlanta Braves

3kgwjp6heowkeg3w8zoow9ggy-Copy.png

The Braves have a history of using black from their days in Milwaukee.

Boston Red Sox

0bzkkgggeec16jy2ktp8jl7ej-Copy.png

Makes sense to replace blue with green, given the Green Monster and all.

Cleveland Indians

wnyd2zhh84f50ux4uxyqbktbh.png

The idea of the Indians replacing blue with brown has been tossed around before.

Minnesota Twins

peii986yf4l42v3aa3hy0ovlf.png

Green seems like a suitable replacement for red. It's a very out door-sy colour scheme, which I feel fits Minnesota.

Philadelphia Phillies

o4lmh7dq5e3uordl7hvk6i3ug.png

I replaced the red with maroon from the 1973-1991 look, and the blue with the lighter blue from their blue jay alternate logo from 1944-1945.

Chicago Cubs- like the New York Giants, I have no idea what other colour scheme would work here.

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim- I like the red vs blue LA baseball thing they have going on with the Dodgers.

St. Louis Cardinals- again, nothing else comes to mind.

Texas Rangers- see Houston Texans.

Washington Nationals- a patriotic name for a team based in the United States capital? Red, white, and blue works.

Red Sox should be, as many others have suggested, green and red. It's because of the main color of Fenway and the Green Monster, as well as a nod to the Irish heritage of the city of Boston.

And I can see a Navy/Powder Blue/Athletic Yellow color scheme for the Angels. I dunno why, it just seems right to me.

Archived