Bowling Green State Falcons concept

tbro

Hello all=

Here's a concept logo and wordmark I did for BGSU a while back. If you've seen their existing logo, you know they need help desperately. I tried to incorporate the bottom of their existing falcon outline logo as the curvy element in the word mark, and the wordmark is a stylized version of the non-athletics university-wide logo with a "thick" 'BG' and a "thin" 'SU.' I also scrapped the poop brown except for the beak and incorporated more black. I did this a while back and it looks a little "cookie cutter bird head logo," but I just wondered what you all thought.

I also slightly altered the wordmark for Pope County (my bevelling experiment didn't work out, so I stylized the R ala U of Arizona (my alma mater!). Also, I know Al Davis would sue me for having a pirate head and crossed swords :wacko: , but see what you think of that look with my work here. I mirror imaged it as if it would be on a helmet.

http://www.geocities.com/kitlu92/index.html?1084851506014

* imitating Montgomery Burns * Excellent! * Ends imitation * Can you at least submit that to BGSU? As I stated in the "Worst College Uniforms and Logos" thread, the BGSU logo looks like it was drawn by somebody drinking Indian Ink!

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

No, no...I haven't submitted it to them formally and I don't plan to. It is actually a pretty funny story. I was a finalist for the head athletic trainer position last summer. When I started doing some research on the place to prepare for my interview, I realized how bad their identity package was, so I did a quick logo and wordmark. I thought it might demonstrate my creativeness and how I bring more to the table than just being an athletic trainer (athletic therapist for you canucks). I showed some people on campus my work (assoc. ADs & such) informally and I think it did just the opposite and scared them off! I guess if you aren't into logos like those of us in the "CC gang," then you probably tend to think we are odd at best and downright weird and obsessed at worst! I just thought I'd share my preliminary draft with you all and see what you thought.

tb

It looks much better than their current logo. I also think that the "PC" logo would also look good on a metallic silver helmet with a black facemask. I also like the tapered stripe you did. If you use a black helmet, I would recommend some variation of silver and red on the stripes. If you use a silver helmet, I would recommend some variation of black and red on the stripes. Just my 2 cents. :D

not to be mean or nothing, but that concept aint that special. kind of looks like a parrot. i actually just finished doing a full identity package for bowling green (for the same reasons you guys stated) but dont have a clue as to how to post the file images on the board. plus, the files are on the network at our tech center. just wondering if anyone knew if and how to go about presenting identity concepts to college athletic programs. i've done some others that would school current logos and would really like to present them, but dont have a clue in the marketing department. any pointers from pros or experienced veterans would be appreciated.

www.skyedesignstudios.com

cwad:

I had done an id package for Carthage College. I never formally summited mainly because it would change the mascot and everything and its a touchy subject there. One thing I would recomend is finding out who's in charge of all that. At Carthage it would be the president of the school. But carthage is a small school so my bet is the AD. One thing I wouldn't recomend is just sending it to them. Set up a meeting and show them what you have. With the summer coming up it may be the best time as well. The AD probably will have some spare time. The worst they can say is no.

Another option is talking to people within the athletic department and showing it to them. They may relay the information on up to the people in charge. If you do get a meeting with someone, dress for success and be confident! Don't diss anything that's in place. You never know what some people might like and they could be offended. And make sure you know the history and why you did what you did. That's all the information I can tell you. With design you're gonna hear alot of no's and its all about persistance.

tell me about it. i've been proposing logos to my own high schools AD these past four years to no avail. although i did get him to put my logo on our championship vests in 2003 adn jackets in 2002 for winning the golf state championship. other than that, his excuse was that athletic teams wouldnt be getting new unis for a while. next year, both bball teams adn baseball get new unis. didnt that tick me off. thanx for the advice, though. what would you suggest as to meeting personnally with a college AD if geography becomes an issue. for instance, living in new englanad and visiting bowling green in ohio? just curious.

www.skyedesignstudios.com

Archived