Sports Advertisement Banners for my college

wyopokes2

As some of you may know I work as a graphic designer intern for my school's athletics department. I was recently assigned with making a banner for every sport to advertise the weeks game. In years past we've just done cutouts of staged athletes holding up a standard sized piece of paper which was used to post the weeks game on. This year we are going with a different approach and using rollup banners. Keep in mind that these things will be life size (6.5' x 3'). The one I'm about to post is just a scaled down version. We have gone through several ideas and at this point I'm kind of in a spot. We decided to do action shots instead of staged photos. I can however request a staged action shot though if need be. Instead of going with a star athlete and running the risk of a transfer or graduation, they want to use a generic player, but still action. I attempted many techniques but ended up going with a bunch of shadows to try to make it more generic and able to use for years to come. The box is where the 8x11 sheet of paper with the weeks game will be stuck on to the banner each week. Since I really respect the criticism of this board I thought I would come and get some ideas that would help spruce it up a bit. Really take it over the top. This is the general idea that all of the sports will follow. Football will be the easiest due to the helmet making blacking out a players face out, so I did WBB as my example. Here's what I got so far ...

75478533.jpg

Please give me your C&C

Looks pretty good to me. Only suggestions I have would be to move the banner bit at the bottom up a bit, it seems to close to the bottom edge for my taste. I'd also nudge the text inside there up ever so slightly as well, the drop shadow is visually throwing off the centering and finally I'd take a look at the bottom edge of the grey banner. The top edge looks nice and crisp but for some reason the bottom edge looks like it's got a feather effect on it.

But all in all impressive effort.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Archived