College to Pro: Heismans & Rings edition

Discrim

Previously in the C2P series: Miami heroes - 2011 1st Round Picks

We all know about those Heisman winners who stunk it up in the NFL (Gino Torretta, Chris Weinke), didn't have the necessary skills to play in the league (Eric Crouch), or were too banged up by the end of their collegiate days to seriously pursue a pro career (Jason White). Hell, we even saw one, Charlie Ward, choose a different sport where he was just okay. Unsurprisingly, there aren't that many Heisman winners who also own a Super Bowl ring, and of the only two active players who've won both, one recently relinquished his Heisman. So, for the first time in this series, I had to dip into the retired player pool. Here goes the banner...

c2pheisman1.jpg

First up, '63 Heisman winner, Super Bowl VI MVP and Super Bowl XII winner Roger Staubach

c2progerstaubach.png

The BEAT ARMY on the back of the Navy jersey was inspired by the fact that Wayne Hardin, his coach at Annapolis had a tendency to roll out special uniforms for the Army-Navy game, often with a Beat Army message on it somewhere. That, among other things, rubbed his highers up the wrong way despite his results, and Hardin decided to bolt from Annapolis once Staubach's military commitment began rather than let himself get fired. The Cowboys set, I've just realized, must look like they went 10 years into the future and borrowed the Colts' mid 80s roads.

Next up, '81 Heisman and Super Bowl XVIII MVP Marcus Allen

c2pmarcusallen.png

Yeh, the USC set looks more like something Arizona State would wear. I'd considered keeping both helmets the same as they are IRL, but I felt like keeping the crossover straight here.

Going third, '91 Heisman winner and Super Bowl XXXI MVP Desmond Howard

c2pdesmondhoward.png

Bust out your Heisman pose...heh, I tried a white M, but it didn't show up enough IMO. And seeing as a blue Michigan jersey will more often than not look stupid with white numbers, there are no white numbers anywhere.

Last but not least, the only active player among this quartet, '97 Heisman and Super Bowl XLV winner Charles Woodson

c2pcharleswoodson-1.png

I'd actually done this one first...and as you can tell, while the other sets are all based on uniforms each player actually wore, this is the first set in the series where at least one (and in this case, both) unis are based on sets the player never wore: the Lombardi era roads were worn as throwbacks three seasons before Woodson arrived in Green Bay, and Michigan only busted out the bumblebee unis this season, a full 15 seasons since Woodson last wore the winged helmet. If he'd gone to any other school, I'd have gone with the Powerball jersey instead, but that thing's already in Michigan's colors.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Well, the whole thing aint exactly Pro Combat, or even really in the stratosphere of what I'd normally be tempted to do. But then this is more of an unusual crossover series, rather than a normal concept series, except levels are being crossed over rather than different sports.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived