Personal Logo Tweak

Vicious

Well, this logo definitely emphasizes two things more than the old logo:

1. the "Forth" aspect. There is a lot more energy and movement in the new logo, and I think with either of these the arrow is a bigger and more integrated part of the logo.

2. The #4. The old logo had the 4 kind of hidden, and it didn't really look like it was there on purpose almost.

I would rather have it look a bit abstract than look bland. Also, I am not set on the blue color at all, Just threw it in there.

Picture21.png

I like the one on the left, but I think you should really play up that ribbon arrow. Use a gradient on the darker part to suggest a shadow from the part in front. And make sure darker is dark enough. Right now it took me a minute to even realize it was a different color and you were trying to suggest depth.

That's hot. I like it a lot. I'm not saying it's finished, because you usually find you might come back in a week and can take it another step. But I think it's really close now.

If I were you, I'd toy with three things.

1. Push the gradient/depth thing through the logo. Maybe the only spot you need it, but maybe it'd look good if you made the rest of the M look a little metallic (not super shiny, but just a bit. Or something like that. It's worth trying.

2. The interaction between the ribbon and the rest of the letter. Right now it's just the straight separation. And that looks good. But see if there's other ways you can handle those areas.

3. The typography below. Obviously that's the font the M is based on, so you'll probably want to stick with that, but what else can you do to it. Should it really just sit below? Should the Forth be blue to echo the logo? Should it start to take on the 3d nature that you've already given the logo and may or may not push further? And then I'd explore how you handle DESIGNS. It's fine now, but it slow looks a little like an after thought. I think it can be better incorporated.

As far as being out of style. It's not out of style now, I promise you that. Secondly, it's okay for this to have a look that's current but not necessarily timeless. If it goes out of style, modify it then. You're not (I presume) printing tons of items with this logo on it right? Very little will be permanent. As a designer, you can always be molding your identity. Frasier Davidson does a great job keeping a concept, but tweaking it often just to stay current and just to keep things interesting. You have that freedom in this line of work.

Sorry to go all design professor on you there, just my advice. I think it's looking great, though.

That's hot. I like it a lot. I'm not saying it's finished, because you usually find you might come back in a week and can take it another step. But I think it's really close now.

If I were you, I'd toy with three things.

1. Push the gradient/depth thing through the logo. Maybe the only spot you need it, but maybe it'd look good if you made the rest of the M look a little metallic (not super shiny, but just a bit. Or something like that. It's worth trying.

2. The interaction between the ribbon and the rest of the letter. Right now it's just the straight separation. And that looks good. But see if there's other ways you can handle those areas.

3. The typography below. Obviously that's the font the M is based on, so you'll probably want to stick with that, but what else can you do to it. Should it really just sit below? Should the Forth be blue to echo the logo? Should it start to take on the 3d nature that you've already given the logo and may or may not push further? And then I'd explore how you handle DESIGNS. It's fine now, but it slow looks a little like an after thought. I think it can be better incorporated.

As far as being out of style. It's not out of style now, I promise you that. Secondly, it's okay for this to have a look that's current but not necessarily timeless. If it goes out of style, modify it then. You're not (I presume) printing tons of items with this logo on it right? Very little will be permanent. As a designer, you can always be molding your identity. Frasier Davidson does a great job keeping a concept, but tweaking it often just to stay current and just to keep things interesting. You have that freedom in this line of work.

Sorry to go all design professor on you there, just my advice. I think it's looking great, though.

Thanks a lot for the feedback. Don't worry about going 'design professor' on me i'm used to it from my design professors. she basically gave the same advice as you did, just good to get some more opinions. That 'M' is actually not what the logo is based off of, it's rather the other way around. The font is, as you probably could tell, futura and I replaced the standard 'M' with a version that more resembles the logo.

I will try to push the logo further, but I sort of like that the rest of the logo is more flat. This makes the arrow/ribbon stand out more. It is like it is breaking free from the ordinary. I have tried making the logo 100% with an origami/ribbon feel to it, and it doesnt have much of an impact.

Now that I have form down, I will play more with color. I like the idea of having the 'Forth' blue. I will see how that looks when I get home from work. Also, I was thinking of maybe dropping the 'DESIGN' altogether? seems kind of redundant almost? I feel it sounds kind of cookie cutter to add design at the end of your name, so I may just be 'MARCH FORTH' which is also cool because it is a command as well. like I am leading an army to to fight an asthetic war. lol.

Thank you very much for your input. any more is welcome and appreciated.

-Jordan

Picture21.png

Apart from your website, where do you use the logo? Because that would decided whether to drop the design from your logo. March Forth is part of the logo and designs isn't so that is an area to improve (remove ;)) Maybe turn the whole March Forth into a dark blue similar to the back side of the ribbon?

All of them. Is there any way that you can brand yourself mutli-coloured, like DC Comics?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

If you got bigger you could make one for certain subsets of design (print, web, etc.), but as a single designer, I think that'd be a dilution of your brand. Pick one and go with it.

I think it's sharp in any color though. I like tangerine, but something about the gradient/shading looks a little off in it. Maybe it just needs to be darker? Appears a little washed out to me. Not sure what's causing that.

Someone mentioned this earlier, but the removal of the Designs looks good and all, but make sure you use the logo in a setting where it's obviously implied. And maybe have a version with Designs in there for any instance when it's not so obvious.

Oh, and last thing. Check the kerning on your type. March is so much tighter than Forth. I'm betting that's intentional so you could horizontally center the gap between the two words, but it doesn't look quite right, IMO.

As for now, I am sticking with the tangerine. I also agree that having different colors would dilute the brand identity, so for now I will stick to just one.

I will darken up the gradient on the ribbon. Also, I understand what you are saying about having the 'DESIGN' in there when it is not obvious. I will keep a version with it in there for those instances.

Lastly, yes the kerning was intentional to center the gap. I will play around with it to make sure it is less noticeable.

Thanks for all of your help. Any more CnC is always welcome.

-Jordan

Picture21.png

Archived