College Football Concept

MDGP

A few months back, when it seemed like everyone was making a fictional college concept, I created an identity for a fictional college in my pseudo-hometown of Eliot, Maine (I'm actually from South Berwick, but both towns went to my high school). For my team, I wanted to come up with a name that not only represented the local area, but Maine's history as a whole. I instantly knew I wanted to use a name that was both Military and Nautical in nature, as Eliot is home to the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard (it's actually in Eliot). The shipyard employs many people in Southern Maine, and seemed like the perfect inspiration.

Finally, I decided on the name Brigade, for two reasons. The first is that naval brigades were once commonplace in the US military, especially during the Civil War. The second is Joshua Chamberlain, who is famous for leading the 20th Maine Infantry Regiment, which held ground at Little Round Top during the second day of the Battle of Gettysburg. What you may not know is that Chamberlain, a native of Portland (Maine), achieved the rank of Brigadier General. After learning both of these facts, it seemed like the perfect name for a team.

For my logos and uniforms, I wanted a team that was historically significant in college football, that had joined in on modernization in recent years.

First, the logos.

The Primary logo is a semi-interlocked EB in Sky Blue, Yellow, and Black. For reference, I chose these colors because they were similar to those of the colors on the patches of Intelligence Brigades. The EB is meant to be both classic, like Auburn, Tennessee, and Georgia while also having a modern feel, like Oklahoma State and Oregon. Below the primary are what the logo would look like with colored backgrounds. The secondary logo is similar to the primary, but with EU.

The tertiary logo got it's roots from a fictional history in which Eliot was a fierce rival with Cal. In my fake history, Eliot had been using a victory cannon since 1950, firing the cannon after every Brigade victory. In 1963, Cal, after a victory over the Brigade (their first over Eliot in 8 years), was presented their own victory cannon by the class of '64. This infuriated Eliot fans, who claimed the Golden Bears were copying their tradition, thus inciting what is today known as the Cannon War. The Cannon logo was created specially for the game, and is worn as a patch solely for the event.

EliotBrigadeLogoSheet.png

The Brigade wear Nike uniforms, and have been caught up in the Nike phenomenon sweeping college teams. The sleeves, helmet, and pants contain striping that is a reference to NATO symbols that represent different military units. On the pants and helmet, the patterns are repeated. Each uniform has four combination of each element (except shoes, there are only two shoe types), allowing for hundreds of possible combinations for use. The primary home uniform is blue, with yellow and black alts. The number font and wordmarks/NOBs are custom to match the style of the Primary/Secondary logo. There are also two sets of wordmarks, one to be used on uniforms, which feature no outlines, and one for promotional purposes, which feature each of the school's colors.

As a final note, the road helmets feature the EU logo no matter which of the four helmets is being used. This idea is similar to teams wearing their city name on road games.

EliotBrigadeHomeandRoad.png

EliotBrigadeAlternates.png

The action shots show each helmet/uniform/pants shown at least once. Each element can be used with any other (these were my favorites under these parameters). UPDATED WITH CANNON PATCH

BrigadeActionshots2.png

Regular Wordmarks

EliotBrigadeLettersWordmarkandNumbersNon-Uniform.png

Uniform Wordmarks

EliotBrigadeLettersWordmarkandNumbersonUniform.png

Well, there you have my fictional college team. I may do different sports in the future, but in the meantime, hit me with some C+C.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

First. I believe the front number in action template is too small. Looking to Pro Combat jerseys, we can see clearly the bigger numbers.

Second. You've made a special logo, but haven't show a Uniform with it placed. A fail, IMHO.

Third. If you're planning Uniforms for other sports, then you can consider change the Number font. Probably is a superfluous thinking, But a Block font fits better in football Uniforms, and the font you've used fits better in a Basketball Uniform.

Fourth. Why you have so many helmets? Yeah, I understand the thing about fictional universities (Unlimited Budgets, Pro Combat, Reebok Edge, Tailored by Umbro and all of these technologies.), But I think four different colors overkill.

Second. You've made a special logo, but haven't show a Uniform with it placed. A fail, IMHO.

Fourth. Why you have so many helmets? Yeah, I understand the thing about fictional universities (Unlimited Budgets, Pro Combat, Reebok Edge, Tailored by Umbro and all of these technologies.), But I think four different colors overkill.

Nice call on the tertiary logo, I should have shown that on one of the uniforms originally. I have applied the logo patch to one of the action templates.

However, I do not agree with you that the four helmets are overkill. That was meant to represent the amount of different helmets teams use. I feel it is no more overkill than Oklahoma State's three helmets, or Oregons 4+ helmets. IMO, the four different helmets also allow for better combinations than with only three helmets.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

The tertiary is a bit too.......how do I say this gently.......weinery.

Can you say weinery on the boards?

weinery.

Haha, Yeah, I showed this to a friend and he said the same thing. I'm actually really surprised that I didn't notice that myself before I was told, but I definitely see it. I'm currently working on an update for the tertiary that should be a bit cleaner.

Archived