Is this technically legal?

JGCleveland

I was browsing ebay when I found this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cleveland-Cavaliers-2-KYRIE-IRVING-Signed-Autographed-FRAMED-Photo-COA-ROY-/270946150402?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f15a62802#ht_1103wt_698

I made this wallpaper about eh, 3 months ago? I didn't know if he was allowed to sell something I made. He probably is since I don't own the images I used to make it anyway. I just found it interesting and figured it'd be interesting to hear some input from guys who knew more about this kinda stuff anyway. If anything I'll take it as a form of flattery that he liked it, and it's cool to know that Kyrie actually saw it.

It's illegal.

Number one, he doesn't own that photo (regardless of your involvement).

Number two, despite you not owning it, you could argue that it's your creative design. That'd be sketchy.

All of that said, it's probably the autograph as much as anything that puts value on that.

One of those things that's illegal, but is entirely not worth pursuing. Were they being mass produced, it'd be another story.

If anything, I might shoot the guy a message and maybe try to buy it for cheaper than the listing price. It'd be kinda neat to have.

Sad thing is, I'm sure he just Google Image'd it and grabbed the coolest looking wallpaper out there. One of the drawbacks to all this technology is that there are scores of people out there who don't have a clue about usage rights or licensing. What they can do, however, is just type some magic words into the internet box and instantly get copies of legitimate artwork.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

• 3 weeks later...

I had something similar happen, a photo I took at an OHL game was downloaded and sold on ebay. I messaged the seller and sent a copy of my email to ebay as well, and the photo got removed. Sometimes it doesn't take much, and ebay itself doesn't want to be associated with IP theft

Archived