Mac OSX Lion Backgrounds

TimEOBrien

People like RaySox and LightsOut are constantly doing things that make me go, "Mother :censored:er! I need to advertise my stuff all over their threads!"

Fixed that for you.

Woah! I put a link to something while giving you feedback. I'm sorry if others ran with it, for that I apologize, but I in no way meant to thread jack. I love you're stuff and always try to comment on it.

You shoulda let me know it upset you. I'm sorry that happend.

That's part of the "holier than thou" issue. From what I've seen, a good portion of your critiques include a link to something you've done because it reminded you of something you did. It may or may not be intentional, but it comes across as "look at me, I design too!" and it intentionally/unintentionally derails the thread to bring the focus on to you.

Now - for the work itself: I like the attempt at making the logos look like patches; however, as it's been said before, it's something that's already been done. I think that's why you're not seeing any of the C&C that you would like and for the most part, there's nothing that can really be done to improve or wow the crowd on this. The desktops are good, but what else can you do with it? There's only so many ways to layer a threaded logo on top of a material background. Even with the dramatic lighting (which I think looks better than the standard), you aren't going to get the crowd pop you want unless you can re-invent the wheel.

It'll be tough, but it's not impossible.

You "giving us the last word" only proves us right regarding our opinion about your attitude.

Maybe that would result in the awe you're looking for when you post your work. Again, no offense, but you just don't have the game to stand out as much as you'd like around here.

I was in a no win situation. If I end it, I'm the jackass. If I belabor the point, I'm a jackass. Tell me how, in that post, I'm supposed to make everyone like me. It wasn't going to happen. I didn't want it to happen. I just want to get back to making myself a better designer. How getting back to the point of the topic without continuing a futile argument is somehow a sign of arrogance is beyond me. To me, it seemed like the mature, adult thing to do. "Don't be argumentative, just take the medicine and shut the :censored: up (and that would be me speaking to myself, just so no one reads that and thinks otherwise)."

So I decided I'd rather just be the jackass now and move on to the topic at hand.

But since you demand I don't finish the argument without getting in one last retort here it goes:

I've never worked with Paul (Paul thinks this is the greatest thing I've ever contributed to Uni Watch). I work with the weekend guy. Because he's nice and cordial and because our taste in uniforms line up pretty well, we've become friends and he features me every so often.

I like this. It makes me feel good. How dare I.

I don't think I'm a great designer or anywhere close to the best on CCSLC, but if I say that, you'll just think I'm lying. You're mind has been made up. People like RaySox and LightsOut are constantly doing things that make me go, "Mother :censored:er! I wish I thought of that!" And that's just two people off the top of my head. All the time I come here and just go, "Goddammit, I need to do something like that. I need to get better."

That's what this was. This was about me seeing backgrounds and jersey textures and thinking, "I've never done that, I want to see if I can create that on my own and see if I can make something as good as those using my knowledge and skills." I wanted to try and do a background. I wanted to try and do a jersey texture, and considering this is my first crack, I think I did a damn reasonable job. There's room to improve and others have done it better, but the same goes for logo and uniform design, but you don't get hassled for trying a hand at the Lightning's unis and identity - people expect you to have a take on that. Why can't I take a try at jersey backgrounds?

And that's what I tried to do. It's still a work in progress, I'm trying to figure out a better way of doing stitching, but I thought my take - the two Desktop feature on Mac OSX Lion - might be an original enough take so that I could get some feedback.

And yesterday when I posted some stuff and no one said anything but I had 500 page views and 18 individual images posted, I got frustrated and said something that I knew would get a reaction. It wasn't the reaction I wanted, but it's the reaction I should've expected.

I want to hear that these are just average! If I don't hear some feedback, how am I supposed to get better? If I hear nothing, are these great or are they laughable? Are they close to something unique or do I need to go back to the drawing board?

When people post critiques of me that start with, "You and your butt buddy Paul Lukas annoy me." (I may be paraphrasing here, ;)) I know that's not an opinion I'm going to change. I know people don't like my stuff. That's not because they're wrong and I'm right, it's because there is no objective right. That's why Prego makes about 25 different kinds spaghetti sauces. There is no objectively perfect spaghetti sauce. But I'm gunna do my damnedest to make my perfect spaghetti sauce.

_____

Now, I didn't want to get into that because opinions already formed on me based on my appearance over at UW aren't going to change. I tried to move on, but now that I've said all this, I'm not going to respond to anything else on the topic because I've said all I can without writing a thesis on why I'm not the biggest douche bag ever (and even if I did, people would finish it, put down the papers and go, "Man... what a douchbag.").

So I'm cutting my loses. Unless you have criticism for my stuff which I can use to make them better, send me your personal critiques in a PM, so this thread can get back to it's topic.

Please.

Tell me how, in that post, I'm supposed to make everyone like me

Ok:

Hey everyone, I appologize for getting mad the other day. It's just frustrating when you put so much work into something and then nobody seems to appreciate it. It would help me greatly if people would provide me with some sort of criticism, even if it's only "I like, you're doing a great job" or "It sucks". That way, I can at least know in general how my work is being received. With taht being said, I would like to move on.

I think that would be preceived as not being a jackass.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Archived