Mac OSX Lion Backgrounds

TimEOBrien

Ok.

I recently noticed that on OSX Lion you can have different backgrounds for both of the desktops you can work on. This gave me an idea for making corresponding backgrounds like Home and Road jerseys or the Front and Back of a Jersey.

This is also my first attempt at making backgrounds, so C&C would be appreciated.

I'm not taking requests at this time (maybe sooner or later and requests may inspire creations, but not yet...) for two reasons:

1) I'm very busy right now.

And 2) I don't make logos that look like patches, so others would have to supply/create those because I don't know how.

I'll keep track of my stuff in this post:

IUFB

California Seals

Chicago Blackhawks

Ottawa Senators

Tim, its also Wallpapers and Desktop Images. Not much to talk about, especially when a poster here did an entire series in the same style with far more teams.

And yeah, the holier than thou attitude is going to get you nowhere in the professional world, or here for that matter.

The holier-than-thou attitude doesn't usually help boost commentary, Tim. Just FYI ;)

Said the pot to the kettle?

Not quite sure what I've said or done today that is "holier-than-thou". I've complained, I've posted content and I've patted myself on the back for posting work that doesn't look like it took two minutes to create in MS paint but acting superior? All I said was I was superior to spam comments, like the Tebow jersey one today that got more comments before getting deleted than my last four concepts did combined.

Yeah, I think I'm better than a spam post.

The holier-than-thou attitude doesn't usually help boost commentary, Tim. Just FYI ;)

Said the pot to the kettle?

Not quite sure what I've said or done today that is "holier-than-thou". I've complained, I've posted content and I've patted myself on the back for posting work that doesn't look like it took two minutes to create in MS paint but acting superior? All I said was I was superior to spam comments, like the Tebow jersey one today that got more comments before getting deleted than my last four concepts did combined.

Yeah, I think I'm better than a spam post.

Well, I'm going to be blunt: your concepts are bland. There's nothing to comment on. Seriously, I cannot think of one thing to say here. Nothing spectacular, but nothing bad.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Well, I'm going to be blunt: your concepts are bland. There's nothing to comment on. Seriously, I cannot think of one thing to say here. Nothing spectacular, but nothing bad.

And reading that is better than reading nothing at all.

Now it is my goal to wow you in some fashion.

But there are no comments on textures or stitching or nameplates? The front and back for the two desktops isn't an interesting take? Nothing at all piques interest?

C'est La Vie and Que Sera, Sera. If that continues and I still lack pizzazz I'll just go back to my database work.

And reading that is better than reading nothing at all.

Now it is my goal to wow you in some fashion.

But there are no comments on textures or stitching or nameplates? The front and back for the two desktops isn't an interesting take? Nothing at all piques interest?

C'est La Vie and Que Sera, Sera. If that continues and I still lack pizzazz I'll just go back to my database work.

To be honest, it's nothing we haven't seen before. I can only speak for myself, but I really don't care about desktop backgrounds.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Pretty much this exact thread already happened on this board and, if memory serves me right, the dude took requests (and like a million of them). Your work is very nice, but people probably just don't have much criticism for you and that's why no one is commenting.

Not quite sure what I've said or done today that is "holier-than-thou".

Yeah, me either. :rolleyes:

All I do is add well thought out, well executed content (whether you enjoy my work or not, you have to give me that) and I still get less comments than spam threads. Unreal.

I can't speak for everyone but here's my impression of you Mr. Tim. I don't know which came first, your membership here or Paul Lukas slobbering all over your, in my opinion, pretty average work over on uni-watch. In any case, once Mr. Lukas elevated your work over there, you showed up over here acting like you were coming down the mountain with the stone tablets of concepts.

My impression was that you thought you were showing our guys how it's done or something. That's how it came across to me. It was a real turn off. The truth is, in my opinion, there are quite a few of "our guys" who run circles around you. I'm not saying your work is bad or anything, but you wouldn't make my top 15 CCSLC designers.

In my opinion: Your stuff is OK. It's not great, it's not bad. On the whole, it's average. Maybe the fact that you don't get more comments is because your work simply doesn't warrant the hosannas you think it does. Believe me, when you do something that turns heads around here, you'll hear about it. Until then, why not relax and not worry about it?

With regard to this particular thread, it's been done before, and, in my opinion, better.

Just my comments on the matter...

BB52Big.jpg

You're entitled to that opinion.

Yesterday, out of frustration I wrote something I knew would elicit a response and I got a response. I started this conversation but now I'm ending it.

I gave you the last word so let's move on.

Ottawa Senators:

I didn't do the stitches because my technique fails to work on circles (and even 45 degree angles a little bit) so I have to figure out a new way to do stitching. I also used a drop shadow on all three layers of the 'O' but I'm not sure if that makes sens sense.

I also changed the vintage white to white, based on a request in a different thread that jibed with my Sens concept.

What do people think of the name not appearing fully on the second desktop? Can you tell it's on a nameplate?

DESKTOP 1

Senators_BG_1a.jpg

DESKTOP 2

Senators_BG_2a.jpg

You're entitled to that opinion.

Yesterday, out of frustration I wrote something I knew would elicit a response and I got a response. I started this conversation but now I'm ending it.

I gave you the last word so let's move on.

Turns out my impression wasn't a mistaken one, I guess. Since I kind of like to decide when I'm finished talking about something, let me leave you with this. Perhaps you should take your wares to a less talented board. Maybe that would result in the awe you're looking for when you post your work. Again, no offense, but you just don't have the game to stand out as much as you'd like around here.

BB52Big.jpg

You "giving us the last word" only proves us right regarding our opinion about your attitude.

Maybe that would result in the awe you're looking for when you post your work. Again, no offense, but you just don't have the game to stand out as much as you'd like around here.

I was in a no win situation. If I end it, I'm the jackass. If I belabor the point, I'm a jackass. Tell me how, in that post, I'm supposed to make everyone like me. It wasn't going to happen. I didn't want it to happen. I just want to get back to making myself a better designer. How getting back to the point of the topic without continuing a futile argument is somehow a sign of arrogance is beyond me. To me, it seemed like the mature, adult thing to do. "Don't be argumentative, just take the medicine and shut the :censored: up (and that would be me speaking to myself, just so no one reads that and thinks otherwise)."

So I decided I'd rather just be the jackass now and move on to the topic at hand.

But since you demand I don't finish the argument without getting in one last retort here it goes:

I've never worked with Paul (Paul thinks this is the greatest thing I've ever contributed to Uni Watch). I work with the weekend guy. Because he's nice and cordial and because our taste in uniforms line up pretty well, we've become friends and he features me every so often.

I like this. It makes me feel good. How dare I.

I don't think I'm a great designer or anywhere close to the best on CCSLC, but if I say that, you'll just think I'm lying. You're mind has been made up. People like RaySox and LightsOut are constantly doing things that make me go, "Mother :censored:er! I wish I thought of that!" And that's just two people off the top of my head. All the time I come here and just go, "Goddammit, I need to do something like that. I need to get better."

That's what this was. This was about me seeing backgrounds and jersey textures and thinking, "I've never done that, I want to see if I can create that on my own and see if I can make something as good as those using my knowledge and skills." I wanted to try and do a background. I wanted to try and do a jersey texture, and considering this is my first crack, I think I did a damn reasonable job. There's room to improve and others have done it better, but the same goes for logo and uniform design, but you don't get hassled for trying a hand at the Lightning's unis and identity - people expect you to have a take on that. Why can't I take a try at jersey backgrounds?

And that's what I tried to do. It's still a work in progress, I'm trying to figure out a better way of doing stitching, but I thought my take - the two Desktop feature on Mac OSX Lion - might be an original enough take so that I could get some feedback.

And yesterday when I posted some stuff and no one said anything but I had 500 page views and 18 individual images posted, I got frustrated and said something that I knew would get a reaction. It wasn't the reaction I wanted, but it's the reaction I should've expected.

I want to hear that these are just average! If I don't hear some feedback, how am I supposed to get better? If I hear nothing, are these great or are they laughable? Are they close to something unique or do I need to go back to the drawing board?

When people post critiques of me that start with, "You and your butt buddy Paul Lukas annoy me." (I may be paraphrasing here, ;)) I know that's not an opinion I'm going to change. I know people don't like my stuff. That's not because they're wrong and I'm right, it's because there is no objective right. That's why Prego makes about 25 different kinds spaghetti sauces. There is no objectively perfect spaghetti sauce. But I'm gunna do my damnedest to make my perfect spaghetti sauce.

_____

Now, I didn't want to get into that because opinions already formed on me based on my appearance over at UW aren't going to change. I tried to move on, but now that I've said all this, I'm not going to respond to anything else on the topic because I've said all I can without writing a thesis on why I'm not the biggest douche bag ever (and even if I did, people would finish it, put down the papers and go, "Man... what a douchbag.").

So I'm cutting my loses. Unless you have criticism for my stuff which I can use to make them better, send me your personal critiques in a PM, so this thread can get back to it's topic.

Please.

Archived