CSS's Jersey's

CSSdesigns

Hello. My name is Carl. I have here two baseball concepts I have finished. I use mS paint to get most of my work done, and have dabbled in photoshop quite a bit. Without further ado, here are the concepts!

54f61d13.png

56b68b04.png

0e2c902d.png

With the White Sox, I explored a new possibilty: The Checkered baseball team. Here they are, fully checkered out. The font i used is called Monotype Corviosa.

bd1d4460.png

670114dc.png

8f1eb436.png

c906fd5a.png

For Houston, I decicded to bring back my favourite era of their jerseys over the years. The shooting star stripes are used, along with Fixedsys, a font very similar to the one they used in the 90's. The rainbow-gut jersey is also brought back as an alt. C and C, anyone?

That's my problem (along with everyone else) with all of them. By not completing the collar it makes it 1 billion times sillier looking.

*sigh* OK, I didn't say anything because I'm not a big fan of either. But here goes ...

The first thing that jumps out on both of these is the fonts. Monotype Corsiva and Fixedsys are both terribly generic fonts. And Fixedsys really looks nothing like what the Astros used in the ?90s; it just looks like what a dot-matrix printer would produce in the ?80s. I've said it on these boards before, and I'll say it again: There are so many excellent fonts available out there for free if you just look. You don't have to use the fonts that came pre-loaded on your computer. You've taken two teams with distinct fonts and distinct looks and sucked the life right out of them.

The checker pattern on the White Sox is really too much. I realize concepts are a place to experiment, but for me, those experiments have to be at least somewhat grounded in reality. Could you actually envision a Major League Baseball team taking the field wearing striping that thick? And I don't see what significance checkers have to Chicago or the White Sox.

The striping on the first three Astros unis, though, works pretty well. Kind of reminiscent of the racing stripes the Mets had in the ?80s. With the rainbow alt, though, I'm not liking how the stripes are all the same width. Part of the charm of the original rainbow guts jerseys was the differing widths and the absence of navy, which made the navy lettering stand out more. As it is, it reminds me of a soccer or rugby jersey.

Make sure you include names and numbers on the backs of your unis as well. Those make up a huge part of the aesthetic of the whole uniform, and can really make or break it.

*sigh* OK, I didn't say anything because I'm not a big fan of either. But here goes ...

The first thing that jumps out on both of these is the fonts. Monotype Corsiva and Fixedsys are both terribly generic fonts. And Fixedsys really looks nothing like what the Astros used in the ?90s; it just looks like what a dot-matrix printer would produce in the ?80s. I've said it on these boards before, and I'll say it again: There are so many excellent fonts available out there for free if you just look. You don't have to use the fonts that came pre-loaded on your computer. You've taken two teams with distinct fonts and distinct looks and sucked the life right out of them.

The checker pattern on the White Sox is really too much. I realize concepts are a place to experiment, but for me, those experiments have to be at least somewhat grounded in reality. Could you actually envision a Major League Baseball team taking the field wearing striping that thick? And I don't see what significance checkers have to Chicago or the White Sox.

The striping on the first three Astros unis, though, works pretty well. Kind of reminiscent of the racing stripes the Mets had in the ?80s. With the rainbow alt, though, I'm not liking how the stripes are all the same width. Part of the charm of the original rainbow guts jerseys was the differing widths and the absence of navy, which made the navy lettering stand out more. As it is, it reminds me of a soccer or rugby jersey.

Make sure you include names and numbers on the backs of your unis as well. Those make up a huge part of the aesthetic of the whole uniform, and can really make or break it.

Thank you. Im going to update these now, as i can see they ARE PRETTY BAD. New ones should be up shortly.

That's my problem (along with everyone else) with all of them. By not completing the collar it makes it 1 billion times sillier looking.

Archived