professional logo design

cward

hey guys. sorry to start a whole new thread for this, but i didnt know how else to get yalls attention. basically, i'm starting up my own logo design business, kind of free lancing. i was just wondering what typical price layouts are depending on the extent of the logo package. i just want ot charge my clients the right amoutn and not rip myself or them off. thanks for the input, preferrably from veterans like sterling or nitro. thanks guys

www.skyedesignstudios.com

It's hard to say. You can charge a flat rate for a logo, or you could charge by the hour, or a combination of both. I try to be flexible depending on the client. If you are doing a logo for a small home-based business, you might not charge as much as a larger more established company. If you want to work on the logo to gain experience and work on your portfolio, the cash might not be as important at first, so you can price yourself on the less expensive side.

I can't really give you any specific dollar amounts, since my freelancing assignments are few and far between, I tend to just come up with an arbitrary figure depending on the client.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I'd say talk to the client and see what they are willing to spend. Then use that figure to determine how much time and effort to put into it. To do that, Go by the hour. If they only want to pay for an hour of your time, they probably aren't gonna get much in return. I'd charge anywhere between 50-100 bucks an hour. Don't have a stopwatch or anything, but approx that much I'd say. I mean this is their image that the outside world will see. The first impression. Make them know that. To get people's attention they'll have to put up some money. Also, I've had to put together some identity packages for companys, I don't know how familiar you are with those but if you want some help with it let me know!

Good Luck!

I know a lot of firms and freelancers charge hourly, but I tend not to because I don't want to overcharge if I get design block. I generally charge a flat rate, and tailor it according to how high profile it's going to be. If a logo will be seen on signage, regional advertisements, etc., it will be more expensive than something that'll be solely on some business cards.

On average, I charge about $2000, but I've gone as low as $200 and as high as $8000, though that was for a complete identity system, not just a logo.

Pricing is not an easy process, especially to a newcomer who won't know how to rationalize some of the prices that even THEY may deem a bit high. If you are going to be serious about this, I suggest you grab this book ... Graphic Artists Guild Handbook : Pricing & Ethical Guidelines. This one's not so bad either ... Graphic Designer's Guide to Pricing, Estimating & Budgeting. There is no cookie cutter price, as Avenger noted, prices will vary drastically depending on project, budget and relationship. I've gone from $500 to $15,000.

There are a lot of quality books to be found that can bring you up to speed on the business side of this industry. The two most important things I can suggest you get abridged on quickly are pricing standards and legal guidelines for your protection. (this is from a pro who has learned alot of these lessons the hard way ... don't rush into this wide-eyed).

Archived