1995 NLCS Question

Magnum

I was wondering how the Cincinnati Reds ended up with home field advantage in this round.

I know the seeds were pre-determined instead of determined by record, but doesn't the #1 seed always get the advantage? In this case, the Braves were the pre-determined as the top seed while the Reds were #2 ...

Records didn't matter back then for home field advantage. The division winners who were given home field advantage in the NLDS/ALDS/NLCS/ALCS were known before the season started and would rotate from year to year. In 1994, the AL East, AL Central, NL Central, and NL West winners would have had home field advantage in their Division Series (by hosting the last 3 games). Then home field in the ALCS would have gone to the winner of the ALDS involving the AL East champ (unless it was the wild card team). Home field advantage in the NLCS would have gone to the winner of the NLDS involving the NL West champ (unless it was the wild card team).

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/1994/03/25/sports/baseball-wild-cards-are-approved-for-the-playoffs.html

The rules were the same (or similar, I can't recall if they tweaked it) for 1995-1997. Since the Braves and Reds had home field advantage in the 1995 NLDS and the Red Sox and Mariners had it in the ALDS I guess they rotated the divisions even though there was no 1994 postseason. Or maybe the author of the article messed up the rotation for 1994.

I think it has something to do with how HFA was to be rotated among the divisional champions the first few years of implementation of 3 divisions.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I think it has something to do with how HFA was to be rotated among the divisional champions the first few years of implementation of 3 divisions.

Exactly

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Yes, the system used was not ideal, but MLB seems to be slowly copying off of the old NFL formula of "pre-determined" playoff opponents. The 14-0 Miami Dolphins for example had to play the AFC Championship Game on the road, against an up and coming Pittsburgh Steelers team.

Now MLB seems to be copying the NFL another step. First they went to 3 divisions and 1 wild card team, as the NFL did from 1970-77, now MLB has added a 2nd wild card teams (NFL 1978-89). Home field advantage being determined by winning percentage is another step MLB has taken to emulate the NFL.

Archived