American Football Worldwide - Qatar

sc49erfan15

Previously in "American Football Worldwide"

I tried the "Random Country Generator" again, and after giving me the U.S. Virgin Islands, and then American Samoa (which I passed on, as I'm concentrating on sovereign nations right now), it spit out Qatar. Seems like all the news about Qatar hosting the 2022 World Cup wasn't that long ago, but it was over 2 years ago.

20101206ledeanswer.gif

Qatar (rhymes with "butter," not "guitar") lies on the Arabian Peninsula, occupying its own peninsula (you guessed it, the Qatar Peninsula) in the Persian Gulf. Politically, Qatar is a relic - one of only six absolute monarchies left in the world. The former British protectorate has only been fully independent since 1971, but has come into play on the world scale with its vast deposits of oil and natural gas. Qatar flip-flops with Luxembourg on many indices measuring GDP per capita, and more than doubles the United States' GDP per capita on every list. However, Qatar ranks low on many human rights indices.

Athletically, Qatar has not had much to celebrate. The men's soccer team is currently ranked 98th in the world, basketball 36th - which is significantly better than I'd assumed. At the 2012 Olympics, the country doubled its previous total medal winnings... by winning two bronze medals. The other two medals awarded to Qatari athletes in 1992 and 2000 were also bronzes. Qatar also sent its first-ever female athletes to Olympic competition in 2012. American football in Qatar is a bit of a longshot, but with increased U.S. military presence in the area, ongoing since the Gulf War - and Qatar's large immigrant population - who knows?

Home Stadium: Khalifa International Stadium, Doha, Qatar

Capacity: 50,000

Built: 1976; Renovated: 2005.

Onto the concept!

QatarFootball_zps8e527008.png

First off, Qatar's flag leads to an easy pattern to use for striping - but I didn't want to overdo it and tried to keep the zigzags to a minimum. The helmet logo is heavily stylized "Qatar" in Arabic, and I thought it stood alone well enough to make another logo (other than the federation logo) unnecessary. I feel like everything else just about speaks for itself.

What say you, CCSLC?

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I think this is great. I like it better than Uzbekistan. With a flag like that, there's loads of stuff you can do with a uniform. One place that I think the zig zags could go is the collar and possibly the cuffs.

Also, I would actually like to see American Samoa, because there's a lot of Samoans who play in the NFL and college levels, and it's probably the only country that could compete with the US in football besides Canada.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

I like it the helmet stripe is awesome but I would also put it on the sleeve, I would also like to see thicker numbers.

I agree with griffinmarlins in wanting to see and American Samoa concept, they are very passionate about their football over there and I would love to see what you can do with the uniforms. (I might be able to dig up some photos of their current uniforms if you were going to do one)

These concepts are fantastic. I love how you're incorporating the flag designs into the uniforms. I've thought about doing a series similar to this, but i won't do it while you are. You know, to not tread on your ground.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Spleen, start your series if you want. I'm just doing these for the heck of it, and I'm definitely not the first person to do international football concepts.

As for this one, I added the zig-zag pattern to the cuffs and thickened up the numbers a little. It doesn't look nearly as busy as I thought it would.

QatarFootball2_zps26c2f745.png

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Archived