New England Whalers Concept - Need help/input

tomjmerrill

Started getting an idea for the New England Whalers comeback when I heard rumors that the NHL might be in a expansion year next season. The Whalers should be a shoe-in. Being from NH I would love to see them back as the old New England Whalers. Heres my dilemma, I am stumped on my color scheme. With the logo below i started on the old Hartford whalers just wont work. Any Ideas? Also the font and text Whalers are just a place holder.

whalers_by_broken_bison-d5urdiy.jpg

gotta keep the green and blue, but there is a lot of room with the logo design itself. I like it, but it seems kind of like it would be better for their AHL affiliate (which would make it perhaps the classiest logo in the AHL) but I really think they should update their classic look, but keep it in the realm of reason with their history. Here's hoping that the Whalers (and Seattle, hopefully) will get into the NHL if these rumors are true.

spacer.png

As a secondary logo I think it could work. Otherwise, I think it may be too complex for a primary crest - from a distance, without more contrast, the image would look like a big blob. Its also reminiscent of the Norfolk Admirals - not a bad thing, just a note, and could be a potential source for design direction.

Archived