NRL streaming games for free in the US

Rampart

This is pretty cool...

The National Rugby League is showing 2 games a week on Fox Soccer Plus. The other games will be streamed (and archived) here:

http://new.livestream.com/nrl

I started following rugby league a few years ago and it's a fascinating sport. The rules are pretty simple for the most part. It's like American Football where the idea is to get in to your opponents end zone (called in-goal) and down the ball (for a true "touchdown", called a "try" in rugby). There are 13 players per side that play both offense and defense. No forward passing or blocking, but you can kick the ball forward. A team gets 6 downs (called tackles) to score.

A try is worth 4 points. The conversion is worth 2 points, but has to be kicked perpendicular to where the try was scored (as close or as far away as the kicker would like). For example, if the try was scored right inside the corner pylon, the kick would have to be taken from a point along the sideline. Field goals can be taken at any time, but are only worth 1 point. If a penalty is called against the other team, the attacking team has the option to kick a penalty kick for 2 points. (or you can also punt the ball out of bounds for advanced field position and start with a fresh set of 6 downs). Getting tackled out of bounds or failing to score in your 6 downs turns the ball over to the other team. Play restarts with a scrum and the ball is feed in to the scrum by the team that controls play.

Just watch for a few minutes; it's pretty addicting once you understand the rules.

And there's a pretty fantastic NRL torrent site out there, too, in case you can't stay up that late. You just need to know which sea to traverse.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The games are archived and you can watch them at any time (except for the Fox Soccer Plus games). I don't know how long each game week will be available, but this is nice since I tend to be sleeping while the games are happening.

Archived