Zoneranger's Whozis #95

zoneranger

Time to let you off the hook...

Its Pete Cusimano and here's the rest of the story...

The Octopus toss was started at the old Olympia Stadium in Detroit by brothers Jerry and Pete Cusimano. They thought that eight legs might be a good omen for eight straight wins for the Detroit Red Wings (there were only two rounds in the Stanley Cup at that time so eight wins was all that was needed to win the cup) and on 15th April, during the first round of the 1952 play-offs (Detroit Red Wings v Toronto Maple Leafs) Pete Cusimano threw a boiled Octopus on to the ice. Although the referees weren't too excited about it, the home crowd went wild. Detroit went on and won four straight games against Toronto that year and then swept Montreal in the Stanley Cup final. Detroit then won two more cups in the next three years. During each Detroit play-off series until 1967, Pete Cusimano brought an Octopus to the rink and tossed it on the ice.

ii. Al Sobotka (Joe Louis Arena Manager) said in 1996 that an unofficial record of 54 Octopi were thrown during one game of the 1995 Stanley Cup final series between Detroit Red Wings and New Jersey Devils. He also stated that Detroit fans throw an average of 25 Octopi per playoff game.

cfg.jpg41QN7ATP9VL._AA280_.jpg

People sneak octopi into the Joe in their pants. I love my team and all...but an octopus...in my pants?

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Archived